Firefly Duo Travel Rods on Ebay

SeaDooDavid

Firefly Duo Travel Rods on Ebay :clap:

I was gong to drop a picture of the Firefly Duo travel boat rod that I had seen / purchased on ebay as I thought it may be the ideal rod / rods for my style of kayaking. I only have one rod rest and I liked the idea of being able to change the rod types while being on the water and still have only one rod holder up front!. I was that impressed when I received the rod that I thought I would do a more in-depth review in case it may suit others and be worth a look at, so here goes!

1 This is the quiver style case that comes as part of the package! This, as well as the quality spec. of the rod, had caught my eye when I first saw the ebay listing. It is VERY well made and keeps the rods safe and sound. (71cm / 28”)

2 The case opens out to reveal a protective foam lined “inner” case which ties neatly inside the outer case and is also held by Velcro in the bottom. The rods themselves (6 sections giving the option of making up a 10-20lb or 20-30lb rod) are also contained in a “roll up” cloth case which rolls up neatly and fits perfectly inside the “inner” This effective “3 case protection” I think will protect the rods from whatever abuse I may be able to throw at them!

3 The rod sections themselves just scream quality and you can clearly tell they are hand made / finished. They fit together wonderfully and look very classy I reckon.

4 The rod in “bendo mode” sadly not a fish today as the weather limited my mission to a quick trip out to fight the swell before heading back to shore to curse the weather man!

5 The stainless guides are the best I have seen / had on a rod so far!

6 The rod has a “double tip” type affair which seemed to give the rod a feel of power in the tip. Again beautifully finished.

7 The reel seat is another quality made item, smooth and secure, I would say much better than “fuji” style fittings IMO and the duplon foam grips have nice ergonomic finger grips. The rod “feels” beautiful in the hand.

8 The case fits nicely behind my seat (as I had pictured in my mind and one of the reasons for buying the rod) I secured it on with a bungie and clip affair, but I may add “D” rings to the strap eventually to just finish it off!

9 It took seconds to release the bungie attachment point and bring the rod to my lap for setting up, leaving one end of the bungie attached in case “nautical juggler syndrome” kicked in ha ha :thumbs: Putting the rod together is also quick and easy. The 20-30lb sections have matched “dots” to make selecting the right sections a doddle! (nice touch) When you purchase, you can select between 10-20 \ 20-30lb or 20-30 \ 30-50lb options! (same price)

I am delighted with the rod /rods as you can probably guess by my ramblings! For £58 and £8 P/P I have got myself a beautiful quality full carbon travel duo rod in a case that is by far the best protection factor and portability option I could wish for. I cannot go on about the quality of the whole package enough! Which is why I have posted this description. The company who produces them http://www.fireflyangling.com/ are new and are feeling the market, price wise I reckon which is why I thought I would get one quickly as I would imagine they will go up as they become more popular as I am sure they will.

And NO! No bungs just my honest opinion of what I think is rare these days, something that actually gives value for money! :thumbs:

All I need now is the bloomin weather to improve so I can get out and get some fishing done! Is there ever gonna be a break in this gloom or are you boys down south getting sun sun sun?? If so lets have some piccies of it to cheer us up in the frozen north ha ha.

All the best boys :thumbs:

Seadoodavid ~~~~~ :sun:

post-6361-1183898628_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183898730_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183898830_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183898908_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183898971_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183899033_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183899088_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183899178_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1183899238_thumb.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice writeup. Would like to see one in the flesh.

The inner case, is that for a tackle box or reel?

I like the fact that you can change some of the sections for different class weights. 10-20lb and 20-30lb would be ideal for me for general boat fishing in good tide.

How much lead do you think the 20-30lb sections could take before it felt too heavy? My solid c 10-20lb will take about 8 ounces before it feels over loaded.

How much does it all weigh?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice writeup. Would like to see one in the flesh.

The inner case, is that for a tackle box or reel?

I like the fact that you can change some of the sections for different class weights. 10-20lb and 20-30lb would be ideal for me for general boat fishing in good tide.

How much lead do you think the 20-30lb sections could take before it felt too heavy? My solid c 10-20lb will take about 8 ounces before it feels over loaded.

How much does it all weigh?

Hi mate :thumbs:

The inner case is an extra layer of protection that is removeable (to wash etc) The outer case has a zipped pocket which is ideal for a small tackle box although it fits my shakespeare baitcasting reel in no problem (don't think bigger reels would go in though, but I think that would make it too bulky anyway!)

You are more than welcome to have a blast of mine mate! (am determined to make some meets this year :clap2: ) I risked the accusations of a bung coz I was genuinely impressed with the rod as it fits all the requirements I had when I was looking for a kind of "all round solution" for the few rods I have! Also (and I hate to admit this!) I lost my Penn firetips in a tip (boo hoo :2: ) so I wanted something that would clip behind me to store the spare sections etc but not be huge and get in the way of my paddle stroke. In the case it measures 28" so IDEAL to go behind our scupper seats!! heh heh :thumbs:

I attached the 20-30lb sections to try setting up on the salty stuff and only had a 6 ounce weight on, but I reckon it would take about 8 ish maybe more, will have to try that!. Just weighed it to the bemusement of the misses who just shook her head! and it weighs 1.5 kilos fully packed (2 with my reel in!) You can also leave the reel on the reel mount section inside the case which I did to speed up setup time).

p.s. I loved the post you did on the multi-day trip :thumbs: something I plan to do myself, real chill time that I reckon, thats ASSUMING WE GET ANY SUMMER!!!! ha ha

All the best

SDD~~~~ :sun:

lovely looking bit of kit that. :thumbs: now stop tempting me you lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Ha ha, I wondered how long the TART would take :thumbs:

Well, like I always say, it's not about NEED it's abiut WANT :lol:

SDD~~~~ :sun:

let us know what it's like with a fish on Dave,I've had a look at their site and the kit seems well impressive with a lot of emphasis on quality. :oops: there goes £58 :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

let us know what it's like with a fish on Dave,I've had a look at their site and the kit seems well impressive with a lot of emphasis on quality. :oops: there goes £58 :headhurt:

nice compact kit dave , trouble is i have too many rods at present :rolleyes:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

nice compact kit dave , trouble is i have too many rods at present :rolleyes:

what's that got to do with it? :clap2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

what's that got to do with it? :clap2:

i know , i think the tackle lures me more than the fish :rolleyes:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Ha ha Richi! We are all getting tackle tarts in our own little way oh Tart-meister Wizard :notworthy:

Will let you know how it handles with some of the cod / Pollock from my local mark (subject to ever being able to get out in conditions decent enough to fish!) Think it will be a breeze though as TOP quality kit! Keep putting it together and taking it apart like a kid at crimbo :lol: driving the misses insane ha ha :lol:

Hey JT :thumbs: Has it warmed up over there yet or do you want me to come over and bring another can of sunshine? :sun::sun::sun: Hope yer keepin ya chin up mate!!

Seadoodavid~~~~ :sun: