My first barbel!

Aaron1976

As per usual... good old AN

If it's not people **** on fireworks it's people who can sell rice to the chinese, tell Gordon Ramsey how to cook and Lewis Hamilton how to drive.....it makes me laugh.

I was there, weighed it with a witness so I'm happy with the outcome regardless of what all the experts on here say...TBH I'm not a barbel angler so would have been happy with a 1lb fish.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You think I`m jealous? I`ve had bigger barbel than that mate.

I`m not bemoaning your barbel I`m just saying that there was an error over the weighing or the scales used were faulty.

Also, I`m certainly no expert but after 15 years catching barbel of all shapes and sizes from a lot of different rivers I think I can tell the difference between a 6lber and a 12.

The only eyes that the wool is being pulled over is your own.

Who was the witness, Stevie Wonder?

Have a look at the front page piccy of this fish:

BFW

Thats way bigger than the fish you caught and its not even a double............

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif

Did I say you were jealous....er no

Blow me my scales must be well f**ked to be out by 6lb....Would you like me to repost the picture with an re-estimated weight for you?

Shall we start at 2lb so people can haggle up to 3 lol

Edited by Neil G

You seem to think I`m having a go.

I`m not, I`m just clearly stating that the only possible way for that fish to weigh 12lb is if its been living on a diet of lead for its entire life.

Post it on BFW and ask for an estimated weight.

Accept its 6lb then go and enjoy the challenge of trying to catch a true double. Believe me, they are huge impressive beasties.

I`m done with this now so won`t be posting on it again.

Please feel free to have the last say.

wolf.gif

Thanks for the comments

I can except that the scales etc may have been out but there's not a chance in hell I'm going to accept that was a 6lb fish.

I doubt I will be going for the challenge of any double figure Barbel as good a fight as they put up as the pike are hungry at the moment :thumbs:

I've never caught a Barbel so can't really comment on the weight but by the look of that huge tail I bet it didn't come in easily.

Well done!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well I may be a bit slow these days but I can read a set of scales.

Agree that it doesn't look massive but that's what it weighed...simple as

You can get your scales checked, a lot of tackle shops do it. I had mine checked after I had my first double and found they were an onze out so my barbel weighed 14lb 2 oz and not 3!

What ever the weight, it was still your first barbel and with that you should be pleased. This link takes you to a picture of my 11yr old with his 1st Loddon double of 10lb 3oz http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...mp;#entry725037 so you will understand the doubt

Sorry I'm no good at posting links!!!!!!! :headhurt: Once again, well done to both of you.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

That's a nice fish lyn......it's very different in proportions to the one I caught.

I'm going to check my scales and weighing sack etc so I can get more accurate on that front....I may even invest in some digital Rapala ones for the future.

I was chuffed to catch a Barbel as it was what I was after but for me my main passion lies with the toothy ones.

All I can say is I've caught lots of pike in the region of 6-8lb and that Barbel felt way, way heavier than that when I lifted the net out of the water...maybe I'm 6oz/lb out but not 6lb

Anyway....thanks for the comments and here's to enjoying the rest of the is wet summer fishing :thumbs:

Here is one the wife caught last year but it wasn't weighed what would you give it post-428-1184707853_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good double to me (sticking my neck out again)! :thumbs: