Pike Waters.....

Scatman

All the walls and features were down the far end of the reservoir...come out of the car park at the top and looking up the reservoir choose the right hand bank and follow it along the shore till you get to the furthest point.

Loads of cobbled walls there and big rocks etc for pike to rest up next to etc

I'd be prepared to loose some kit though....apparently when the water drops the walls are festooned with loads of lures & spoons than have been lost !

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am talking to you, I am looking for some new rods. At the mo I use 2.5tc Fox rods which have served me well, but want some thing with a bit more poke that I can use for pike and cats. What tc would you recommend? and any particular make /model? Again, I have looked at the Fox Prdator range as I have been pleased with rods I already have.

Cheers

I'm no expert on rods but have always found Wychwood stuff to be good value for money....the 3.5tc pike rod I own casts a dream with big baits on reservoirs.

I also own a 2.75tc Fox rod which I like action wise but was very dissapointed with the real seat which doesn't accomodate my reels very well at all....I may have just got a bad one though. I believe Fox do a heavy deadbait rod with a 3.25tc which should have a bt more backbone than the 2.5tc ones.

3.25tc model on their site

http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-products....&section=33

Reckon I will bring a lure rod next month if I'm going to fish Argal and boost some massive lures & spoons out there.....can cover a lot of water that way.

Edited by Neil G

no you havnt got a bad one the fox rods seem to only take fox reels or big pits other reels just wobble in them I have two of the 3.25 pikers and they are very hard wearing rods so if your happy with big pits then give em a go

oh and they will propel a bait long way if you have the guts to make em bend and creak during the cast

I see

The only reel that comes close to fitting my Fox rod is my Dawia Regal and that's quite a heafty reel.

Big pits are okay if your ledgering/drifting but if your moving around on rivers a lot holding a rod & reel setup like that can be a bit wearing after a while.

Still a nice rod and can handle big mackerel baits along with a 2.5/3oz lead....finish is good for the money as well.

would you beleive it one of the few reels i havnt tried are the daiwa baitrunners as ive never owned them but my shimano gt s wouldnt fit nor my okuma epix 60's so i just took thr big reels of the old rods and put them on

Neil do you not find 12' rods a little cumbersome for mobile sessions I rely on the esox 9ft now for that and tbh big reels are a way of life where i fish mostlt the extra power comes in handy in the lake district

Edited by noodle996

I like the Daiwa reels I have and was getting a little annoyed at only being able to use the bigger reel on the Fox so have now oredered a Wychwood Riot rod which I know has reel seat which will fit !

I have always used 12 rods for all river fishing as that extra length can be useful when fishing paternosters etc over lilly pads/weed beds. I do own a 9ft, 2.5 tc spinning rod which I have contemplated using for bait fishing but the single ring guides on it put me off....it feels a little fragile !

MM they can be a little fragile but they bend back easy enough if you keep the pressure even Ill be lookng at rebuilding them meself over the next season or so with triple leg sics or AO if i cant get a decent price for the sicsbut so far the blank has stood some abuse quite well

I am trying to find out what pike waters there are in Cornwall. I have fished Argal quite a few times, and have had fish out on most occasions. I have not had any large pike from here, but it is clost to home and I have some favoured swims around the res now.

The only other water that I ma aware of is Retallick. I have not fished here yet, but hope to get up for a 'reccy' some time soon.

So if anyone knows of other pike holding waters please let me know.

The same could apply with catfish, as Whiteracres is the only lake that I am aware of in Cornwall that holds cats.

Thanks! :clap2:

Pike waters in Cornwall. Roche Angling Club St Austell area have two waters stocked with pike well into 20lbs.

We have six lakes to choose from with specimin Carp Pike Tench Bream Roach and some huge Perch and Rudd along with Eels and a few very big Brown Trout. Membership forms can be downloaded from our website or from the Memebrship sec his number is on the site also......

http://rocheac.members.beeb.net/

All welcome to apply for membership.

I like the Daiwa reels I have and was getting a little annoyed at only being able to use the bigger reel on the Fox so have now oredered a Wychwood Riot rod which I know has reel seat which will fit !

I have always used 12 rods for all river fishing as that extra length can be useful when fishing paternosters etc over lilly pads/weed beds. I do own a 9ft, 2.5 tc spinning rod which I have contemplated using for bait fishing but the single ring guides on it put me off....it feels a little fragile !

been using a riot pike rod for a little while mate and you wont be dissapointed, its a very nice bit of kit.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk