Fitting Fishfinder

Karl K

Sorry for yet another question about fishfinders, but I'm ashamed to say mine has been sitting in the wardrobe for the last 6 or so months and I'm just going to have to fit it.

Its a Matrix 17 and its going on a RAM mount with a cable gland into the hull, does it matter how close the fishfinder, battery and tranducer are or do they not interfere with each other anyway? Also where's best for tranducer front, middle or back? Transducer is getting stuck on with Marine Goop, - Americans seem to swear by the stuff! Option B is to fit it in a water bath idea i saw on one on the USA sites, but I can't work out the easiest way to cut a piece of pipe to the inside shape of the hull??

Hi Karl,

I have my fishfinder, battery and transducer virtualy on top of each other with no problems of interference at all. My transducer is fitted under the cup holder on my Prowler 15 which is just about central on the Yak. I have fitted the transducer in a bed of marine silicon and is still stuck solid where I put it after numerous loadings and unloadings from the roof of the car and many launches and landings.

Hopes this helps

ChrisW

Edited by ChrisW

Karl fitted my FF this weekend in work, glued the transducer just behind the rear seat in the centre (best position in X Factor). In this position it will always be in contact with the water and you won’t get any deviations’ due to the angle of the hull. I used aqua sure to glue the transducer in.

DSC00049.jpg

Also fitted the rudder and anchor trolley. I’ve only fitted it so I can anchor from the rear of the yak, don’t like fishing backwards.

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

Hope this helps Chris :thumbs:

Karl fitted my FF this weekend in work, glued the transducer just behind the rear seat in the centre (best position in X Factor). In this position it will always be in contact with the water and you won’t get any deviations’ due to the angle of the hull. I used aqua sure to glue the transducer in.

DSC00049.jpg

Also fitted the rudder and anchor trolley. I’ve only fitted it so I can anchor from the rear of the yak, don’t like fishing backwards.

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

Nicely done m8 :thumbs:

Bb

Chris - that's one tidy job well done M8, gotta admit the X looks cool in Yellow!! Have you got any piccies of the battery set up.

Cheers

karl

really like the large hatches in the x factor . Karl have you bought the goop , if so did you get it mail order as i know some things are restricted from the states ,solvents etc . seen it at hook1 but was not sure if they would send it .

:thumbs:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Karl I’ve fitted a 12v gel cell battery with a 1amp inline fuse.

This is the placed into Tupperware box and placed into a dry bag which has its handle clipped around one of the scupper uprights to prevent it sliding around

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

All excess cables are velcroed to the side to keep them out the way.

DSC00058.jpg

Trev - yep mail order see PM

cheers karl did not get pm though ! :thumbs:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Chris

I am starting to get the bits together to fit an anchor trolley to my Malibu Mini-X. Could you post some more detailed photos and just give a bit of detail as to the bits and pieces you used and where you got them - for instance did you use rivets to fix the loops to the kayak?

All help greatfully received

Thanks

Mike