Barbel trip?

Papa Lazarou

Hi everyone, i am planning a trip down to the severn for barbel in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone could help me?. I have the necessary gear required having fished for carp bream and tench up here in scotland for many years, i just need a general point in the right direction?. I am hoping to fish around the bridgenorth area so any info regarding daytickets and possible accomodation for a couple of nights would be great. Can you fish through the night?, i have never caught a barbel and i am very excited at the prospect,any help will be gratefully received, thanks! :thumbs:

Wanna buy some pegs dave..

I'd hold off booking anything for the moment because the river looks like this http://www.bridgnorth-dc.gov.uk/static/page970.htm

If you look at the little black door on the far bank, the river is only just below the sill and that makes it a good half a metre higher than the December floods shown further down the page.

Obvious choices on the water fron would be BAA water. Lots of details here and not bad value for a full week. I'd be wary of buying online though. The site has recently changed but last time I looked, the payment screan wasn't encrypted.

http://www.baa.uk.com/home/default.aspx

There's daytickets available on the KDAA water at Bewdley and plenty more options if you look about.

What sort of accomodation are you looking for ? Pub, B&B, Campsite, Hotel ?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You're in for a treat :clap2: Hopefully the floods will have susided by then. Hard to go wrong really; there are fish to be had all the way down the river. Good idea is to buy a BAA ticket:

http://www.baa.uk.com/home/default.aspx

Cheap enough at £27 if you plan on going often and gives you lots of options. Just make for the tackle shop in Bridgnorth by the river and they will put you right. Lots of day ticket options as well. Accomm in the town not a problem. Many hotels, B&Bs and pubs.

PM me if you need more detail though I'm sure others will give more info here shortly.

For something special try the Teme, just down the road.

These floods can`t last forever (I hope).

Bridgnorth is a good base as it allows easy access to all of barbel alley. Arley, Hampton Loade, Quatford, they`re all within 20 minutes drive. If the river is up and out then Bridgnorth itself offers some of the best flood fishing on the Middle so you`re pretty much guaranteed a few fish.

Theres no night fishing on BAA stretches but its not really needed. The way its fishing at the moment you`ll have caught enough in the day and can spend the evening in the pub celebrating!

What dates are you thinking of? I`m local to Bridgnorth and will be happy to meet up and show you some spots.

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif

Severn, Do you think you'd be able to reckognise him from the avatar photo ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Severn, Do you think you'd be able to reckognise him from the avatar photo ?

I will take my make up off and leave the wives and 3 legged dog at home :D . Sorry for the delay in replying had trouble posting for some reason. Thanks for the replys,just need to get a concrete date sorted out which i think will be the 2nd week in Sept, hope its still fishing well at that time. As far as accomodation goes a room above a nice pub would be good for a wash and a bite to eat and a couple of pints. We will be fishing from the Friday till sunday lunchtime before heading home, i will post nearer the time, thanks for the help so far. :thumbs:

Be prepared for early starts. The best swims will go *very* early, especially at weekends and if you're not on them the fishing is not as good in my experience.

Thanks Jim, much appreciated. :thumbs:

Papa,

if you have not got in touch with Steve, then do so. He is a fantastic chap with a wealth of knowledge on the Severn around Bridgnorth way. He is only too willing to help fellow anglers.

www.caravanonthesevern.co.uk/

Paul