Word of warning

Gone Fishin

You shouldn't have cut the line !!!!!

You should have just reeled them in, untangled/hooked them and released them.

Yes this is the best thing to do with ducklings. I've only seen it happen once and it can be distresing because the mothers goes absolutely nuts. But get the duckling in ASAP, get hook out and put the duckling back in quickly. No harm done.

If you hook something big (swan etc) on heavy tackle then it's best to cut the line. But then ring the RSPCA ASAP and inform them. Stay around to help if you can.

But it all depends on the circumstances.

Edited by bingo

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im slightly worried about how trivial hooking wildfowl seems to be with some! Anyone who hooks ducks surface fishing shouldnt be practising the method as winding in quickly as birds approach avoids any potential damage, better still, if there are birds in abundance on the water, simply dont fish on the surface!

Bingo, your advice is good, always ring the RSPCA on 0870 55 55 999 should any accidents occur immediately if birds are left with line and hooks etc.

Common sense could dramatically reduce such occurances, but some anglers think that their fishing comes before the welfare of animals inhabiting our waterways.

Edited by zedhead

Spot On Zed :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Guest tigger
If you hook something big (swan etc) on heavy tackle then it's best to cut the line. But then ring the RSPCA ASAP and inform them. Stay around to help if you can.

But it all depends on the circumstances.

Why do that, just treat it the same as a big duck, there's no difference at all. They can't hurt you in the slightest!!!!. Just grab their neck and you can get one heand round the base of both their wings and that's it they can't flap about and injure themselves, they won't injure you. Anyone who tells you different is just exagerrating.

Much better to just get them in and get the hook/line off them and let them go than cut the line (that's just plain disaster for the bird)

I was fishing off a pier at weymes bay on west coast of Scotland and this boy about 15, foul hooked a seagull while casting. Took about 5 grown men to hold the thing still it was goin absolutely mental. Eventually got it free and it buggered off. I was only a kid at the time and thought it was a real good laugh :rolleyes:

Swans have mastered the art of line avoidance...pity ducks havent,. I tend not to fish a lot of ponds but i can imagine the greeef they give you.

Guest Rabbit

Its sad but you just have to use common sense, the sort that comes in an instant. If its a large bird such as a swan and it became entangled then I would cut the line, safer for the bird and the angler. I have caught a male mallard when he pinched my bread meant for a carp, my fault should have been more alert. Reeled him in and took him to the vets, they removed the hook and returned him unharmed. didn't have to pay either , said I found the bird in that state <_<

Last month I caught a blackbird in flight as I was casting. his wings were caught across the line like he was a piece of washing. Reeled him in gently but steadily and shook him free, he was fine and not at all hurt

If there are two of you with a carp size net, then a hooked swan is easily dealt with. Wind the b####r in, get your mate to put the net over its head and it will quieten down so you can deal with it. I have done this a few times over the years.

The swans on the lakes I fish, will move in on anyone spodding, hoping to grab a mouthful before it all sinks, and if it shallow enough for them to reach the bottom, then they will sneak back every half hour or so .............inevitably one will get hooked sooner or later.

Coots will continue to sneak back and dive up to 12 feet or more to clear up a bed of bait..usually clever enough not to get hooked though, they just wreck your presentation.

Tufted ducks...now they are a problem...they NEVER learn and get hooked regularly, usually in the beak or leg, both easily dealt with with no harm to the bird except to its dignity :)

Never cut the line unless you have no option (and spectators is NOT an option), indeed I have received praise from onlookers for the way a hooked bird has been unhooked and safely released.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Rabbit

I stand corrected on the swan treatment poledark, sounds a better and more humane option. I just hope I don't find myself in that situation, can I have your mobile number :rolleyes:

Having myself hooked a swan many years ago I sympathise with the OP. The problem is knowing when to wind in, knowing only too well that any movement of the float might attract the bird's attention, and of course whilst retrieving the float the bait rises up in the water nearer the problem.

The swan I hooked was on a very small very private venue, and it wasn’t going to come in peacefully, so as I was fishing alone I took the coward’s way out and cut my line. As soon as the clubhouse was open for business I informed a member of staff who phoned the RSPCA. I think the issue isn’t the swan hurting some angler, but more likely some over zealous angler injuring the swan even more whilst trying to unhook or untangle it. A swan with a broken wing is a pitiful sight.

Geoff

Geoff

Guest Brumagem Phil

Some interesting points of view on this thread.....

zedhead.......yes, you are right to a degree, but as humans we seem to have this inbuilt thing which says our desires outweigh those of all other creatures..........I guess its an evolution thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my wildlife and will swerve or brake to avoid running over a bunny in my car, but if a duck doesnt get the message (as 99% of them do) that my hooklength and mainline above the water are a big danger sign to it from my beachcaster (even after I've waggled the bait by hand once of twice) then the only way its gonna learn is by watching my wagging finger, up close and personal!!! ;-)

Hooking a swan isnt a big issue. I've hooked one and reeled in two others for other fishermen who aint had the bottle after hooking them themselves. Rule 1........unless its unavoidable, DO NOT allow them to take off! This can be achieved by putting pressure on the line (but not being aggressive) as swans do not posess the best take of skills in the world anyway! Treat them as you would a fish........if they want to 'run' and are not near snags, then let them get a little tired before coaxing them toward you. DO NOT snatch or tug violently at the line, make your movements firm but smooooooth. Above all else, DO NOT PANIC.

When its landed, don't pussy foot around it, grab it firmly around the the throat (but dont throttle it) and use your body and legs to prevent its wigs from flapping......this will save both you and the swan from getting hurt. It can't bite you and will be quite subdued. Asess where it is hooked and either remove it by hand or use forceps if needed (rarely) and then simply let it go. It won't turn around and attack you, it will simply fly or swim away.

IMO, this is far less stressful to the animal than allowing it to tow around yards of line, awaiting rescue from some agency which may or may not arrive.

I saw a greeb once........clearly in trouble as it seemed to be struggling to keep its head above water. I tried catching it but greebs are shy at the best of times and how ever hard I tried, it kept outsmarting me. The next day it was dead in the weeds so I fished it out and found a size 6 hook embeded in its beak with a braided hooklength attached and a 2oz lead. It obviously had swam around until its neck muscles were too tired to suspend its head and then had simply drowned. I'm 100% sure if I'd hooked that greeb, or he'd pinched my bait off the bottom, that he'd still be alive today as whoever hooked it panicked (or didnt care) and snapped the line. I just hope my comments can re-assure other anglers that hooking widfowl isnt a life threatening event for it providing one is thoughtful, calm and confident.