Mercury outboard problem

noah

I have a problem with a 35hp mercury out board wich is stopping me from going out fishing. There is no spark at the plugs and i am unable to remove the flywheel. So far it has cost 2 mallets 3 pullers and a steel bar. Any ideas on how to get it off??????????

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevie cop

You need to remove the flywheel nut first. Then you will have to take 3 screws out of the bit that fits on top of the flywheeel and use a harmonic puller to pull the flywheel off. The three screws you need to take out will be obvious when you look at the puller. Don't use a regular puller or you'll bugger your flywheel.

Just out of curiosity, what are you planing to do when you get the flywheel off?

It has been in storage for two years and was covered in marine grease for that reason. the grease is every where and may be the reasone that it is not producing a spark

Guest stevie cop

I doubt it Noah.

Check all your electrical connections and earth connections. Clean them and make sure the connection is good. Then test again for a spark. If you still have no spark on any of the cylinders, you'll need to trouble shoot the ignition system.

I've checked all the conections that are visable/ accesiable but there are some under the fly wheel its self. Its an old mercury 350(m) 1963 if that helps.

Guest stevie cop

I'm not familiar with the old Mercs. Do you have a workshop manual for that engine? What type of ignition system does it have?

Check the coils, I had a mercury where they both cracked and failed, it was only a little one ( also an old one) but I was told it was a common problem and the coils were shared with bigger engines

good luck

dan

[ 22. May 2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

both coils are tucked in underneath the flywheel so back to the problem of removing the flywheel. alternativly there's a boat jumble at Newton abbot next week!!.