Rudd

bingo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year i started targeting large perch using dead baits ( small roach and perch) i had a few good fish ,but one day i was getting good runs but not connecting so i tried the usual things changing hook sizes,rig configuration etc.all with no effect untill i put on a smaller bait.First run hit the fish ,you guessed it , big rudd about 2lb in fact.

Since that first fish i have hooked several rudd using this method all between 1lb 8oz and 2lb 10oz this last fish came to 1/2 a perch last week.

I,m not saying this is the way to go i just find it interesting.

Guest tigger

I find the big rudd seem to favour the cover of darkness. As poldark says a bunch of maggot(red & white) or corn works well.

I think the big rudd are more nomadic. We've been getting them up to 3.3lb while fishing bottom for Tench.

Last year i started targeting large perch using dead baits ( small roach and perch) i had a few good fish ,but one day i was getting good runs but not connecting so i tried the usual things changing hook sizes,rig configuration etc.all with no effect untill i put on a smaller bait.First run hit the fish ,you guessed it , big rudd about 2lb in fact.

Since that first fish i have hooked several rudd using this method all between 1lb 8oz and 2lb 10oz this last fish came to 1/2 a perch last week.

Very interesting, Dave!

I've had several species on deadbaits when perch fishing (carp especially are a flaming nuisance!), but never rudd. That's possibly because I use big deadbaits and there were no big rudd in the waters concerned.

I've caught rudd on small lures, as well as a variety of flies, so I'm not altogether surprised.

What length deadbaits were you using?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Very interesting, Dave!

I've had several species on deadbaits when perch fishing (carp especially are a flaming nuisance!), but never rudd. That's possibly because I use big deadbaits and there were no big rudd in the waters concerned.

I've caught rudd on small lures, as well as a variety of flies, so I'm not altogether surprised.

What length deadbaits were you using?

Last week when i caught the biggest rudd i was using 1/2 a perch ,before i cut it in half it would have been around 6"long the rudd took the tail end of the back half i don't think it could have got the broad end in its mouth.

The water i was fishing is what i call a hungry water, lots of small fish if a fish of any speices is going to put on weight its got to eat the small fish, the rudd just see's a big lump of protein which it needs to survive.

Guest tigger

I've never heard of Rudd acting like that before. Sound like mutants to me.

I would have thought they would struggle to swallow anything but very small fry due to the size of heir mouths.

Just did a search on google for catching rudd and this thread was the first entry that came back! :blink::o:thumbs:

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I've never heard of Rudd acting like that before. Sound like mutants to me.

I would have thought they would struggle to swallow anything but very small fry due to the size of heir mouths.

951105271_43191fea0d.jpg

You may be right tigger they may be mutants ( what ever that is) The only fish they could cross with are roach.

I'm not good enough to tell if its a hybrid or not what do you think.

951105271_43191fea0d.jpg

You may be right tigger they may be mutants ( what ever that is) The only fish they could cross with are roach.

It looks more roach than rudd to me, the mouths roach, but the dorsal fin looks set back,(hard to see in photo). Nice fish though.

I don't think that they will be trying to take the whole bait, just trying to get bits off, and get hooked.

All fish are scavengers to some degree, and will feed on most things at one time or another.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger
951105271_43191fea0d.jpg

Your fish looks like a Rudd to me.

Here is a picture of my mate with one of the Rudd we caught the other week, this was just over a pound and a half.

We were fishing for tench at the time using a bunch of red and white maggots and corn on the bottom, we caught them up to 3.3lb that night. I don't think we would have had much luck using deadbaits though :)

fishingtrip070607.jpg