Catch and release, why not?

Sheepy

i find that a lot places do not alow catch and release and have a fixed bag and statements such as all fish of a legal size must be knocked on the head.

There is a popular myth amongst such fishery owners, shared by some anglers, that once a trout has been caught and released a couple of times, it will never take an artificial fly again.

I suspect the real reason is financial - make the anglers take the fish away and charge accordingly, and there is only a minimal "hidden loss" through fish dying uncaught. Catch and release means the owner has to make good more "uncaught" fish losses.

...and yes I know that some fisheries offer both. Given that a large number of trout fisheries have gone bust or just closed down suggests the financial side is not always well thought through.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

There is a popular myth amongst such fishery owners, shared by some anglers, that once a trout has been caught and released a couple of times, it will never take an artificial fly again.

I suspect the real reason is financial - make the anglers take the fish away and charge accordingly, and there is only a minimal "hidden loss" through fish dying uncaught. Catch and release means the owner has to make good more "uncaught" fish losses.

...and yes I know that some fisheries offer both. Given that a large number of trout fisheries have gone bust or just closed down suggests the financial side is not always well thought through.

Vagabond,

I don't think the recent succession of hot summers has helped a lot of the shallow man made fisherys almost biol owing to no movement of water and clear banks(no over hanging vegatation) to maximise fishing areas

late June through to September sees a lot of fish mortality an sulky trout who come on the feed for about twenty minute sun up and sun set. this puts a strian on the smaller fisherys, gives them a impression of being Hard or under stocked. wich keeps clientel away.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!