Windy Conditions,

henda11

hi, im going to be going to wing lakes next week and so far it says on wednesday the wind is going to be 23mph, will that effect my fishing much? as i am using the maggot feeder method plus bite alarms set up

PB Mirror Carp: 10lb 7oz

PB Common Carp: 7lb 7oz

At this time of year (when its warm) Windy conditions can be the best for carp. Some times they will move on the wind and other times they will just sit behind it.Varies from water to water.If your not familiar with the venue just make sure you keep your eye on the water as carp often show them selves in windy conditions.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

pretty much agree with budgie, the fish will often follow the wind, especially a warm breeze. depending on what alarms you use the wind really shouldnt make a diffrence. as for your set up, if your having trouble with accuracy, just increase the weight a little.

• 3 weeks later...
At this time of year (when its warm) Windy conditions can be the best for carp. Some times they will move on the wind and other times they will just sit behind it.Varies from water to water.If your not familiar with the venue just make sure you keep your eye on the water as carp often show them selves in windy conditions.

I must admit I do not like fishing in blustery conditions , I would rather it rained . I realise that a lot of waters respond well to a strong breeze.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I love a big wind...methinks that the undertow causes fish to move. Either they stay put and fight the current, doesn't need to be much, just enough to make them respond, or they move somewhere quieter...back of the wind???

Watch the ducks/coots/gulls, they are usually on the back of the undertow where wind and current balance out.

That's my theory of the day :) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

On shallow lakes that don't have many (or any) big underwater features like bars - e.g. estate lakes - a good warm wind will literally 'blow' the fish around. You could see it at Frensham (big, shallow, featureless sand pit) too, when I used to fish for the tench there. A good south-westerly would push the fish right across the lake and really get them in a feeding mood.

On gravel pits with a lot of bars and humps it seems to have a lesser effect, but a more localised one - areas within bars become kind of micro lakes, and food gets moved around to the base of bars.

In general, a good south, west or south-west does get the fish feeding. I love a windy day :)

If the weather is cooler I find myself fishing more and more on the back of a wind though, especially for tench but also for carp.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music