Mull of Galloway fishing report

Snatcher

Our party arrived at our van on the Clash on the Wed night.There were only 3 of us.Bill,Steve (an ozzie from Perth) and my good self. I decided to make up some tope traces for the next day and Bill and Steve decided to have a wander down to the Ship for a nosebag.

Big Colin from the site joined us next morning at Logan for a launch with Mally.Mally had us all in stitches even before we had the gear set up.Check this out,is it seagull poo???

Seagullpoo.jpg

We soon bagged up on the mackerel and headed to a tope mark. We had a few runs but no hookups,well this is fishing for you!

Mally then decided to put us on a bull huss and conger mark.Alll we managed was one ling and doggies. On Mallies suggestion we went close in to try and tempt a few pollack on our spinning gear.We picked up quite a few pollack to around the 2.5lb mark,it was nice just to get a few fish.

I decided to change tactics and put on a Snatcher sandeel lure.I did not have long to wait for a take.Got a few tentative plucks and then the rod plunged over.Wow what a scrap,it was taking line off the reel with a few heartstopping dives.Eventually Mally managed to net it and weigh it. Boy oh boy was I well chuffed - it went 11lb 4oz.

pollack.jpg

Mally handed me the fish fow a few quick photos before I put it back.Not exactly a classic fish pose is it?more like an affectionate bear hug :rolleyes:

We went back in at 5pm and had a couple of beers in the Port Logan Inn and reflected on a happy days fishing. It was just a bit dissapointing not getting a few tope into the boat. We had heavy rain that night and decided not to fish the pollack rock marks next day for safety reasons. We switched onto plan B,fishing Cairnryan pier

We turned up at the tack4s house for a cuppa and then headed up the side on Loch Ryan to the pier,a new venue for me.

CairnryanPier.jpg

We set up spinning rods hoping for mackerel or pollack.It looked promising but the fish were not co-operating!Andrew managed to hook one mackerel and Bill lost a good pollack on a spinner.

Bill did manage to foulhook the smallest fish in the world though. Referree!!!!

Foulhooked.jpg

We set off back to the van at about 4pm as my son Chris,his girlfrien Jenna and her two sons Wayne and Lewis were due to arrive :thumbs:

Signing off for a shortwhile but still got the complete report to finish,hop[e you liked it so far :headhurt:

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

That night we were all booked into the Clash for a meal ans Sammy really did us proud.Cannot believe the size of the portions!!!

Jennas two really took to Steve,check this out. They also started calling me grandad for the first time :thumbs:

Steveandkids-1.jpg

Saturday seen the heavens open so wew decided to try for bass on the Luce Bay side.We tried a couple of spots to the north of Drummore with Guy and Conger Conger but the sish did not show at all.We then decided on having a beery day back in the Clash. We kept the kids amused with some jigsaws

Jigsaw.jpg

Then it was back to the van for a bit face painting

Facepainting.jpg

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Sunday it was time for us to head off back home.Chris and the kids were staying on though.Steve had never been to the end of the Mull so we decided to do that before leaving.

He was well impressed with the sheer beauty of the place.We climbed to the top of the lighthouse were I took this shot.Ironically you can see one of Ians boats powering off the end of the Mull

Lighthouse.jpg

Oh well back over again in September for a full week :thumbs: Bring it on !!

Edited by Snatcher

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Hi there , whats the state of cairnryan pier now, i used to fish it many moons ago, eventually being removed by the police due to it being unsafe, what a conger haven :thumbs: but being a crafty so and so and working for Barr construction i got access to it free gratis. Well, i had the security key and a barr work jacket so when the cops called in i was there on an official capacity :rolleyes:

Had some belting pollack off of it but mainly a conger mark with the odd huss thrown in. Last time i fished it i caught two lobster on mackeral baits lobbed out looking for anything with a gob on it, the first one dropped of as i winched it up, the second was whipped out faster than a flasher in the high street.

The middle section of the pier collapsed a while back and i thought that it would have been demolished by now, man i miss fishing back in Scotland, i even sold my boat this year cos i'm not coming back. Have to make do with the odd trip back now for skate and a wee bit of shooting.

Here's one for you, any of you know of my old mate Stevie Donnachie from Ayrshire ?? been a long time since i heard from him, happypiker.

Hi there , whats the state of cairnryan pier now, i used to fish it many moons ago, eventually being removed by the police due to it being unsafe, what a conger haven :thumbs: but being a crafty so and so and working for Barr construction i got access to it free gratis. Well, i had the security key and a barr work jacket so when the cops called in i was there on an official capacity :rolleyes:

Had some belting pollack off of it but mainly a conger mark with the odd huss thrown in. Last time i fished it i caught two lobster on mackeral baits lobbed out looking for anything with a gob on it, the first one dropped of as i winched it up, the second was whipped out faster than a flasher in the high street.

The middle section of the pier collapsed a while back and i thought that it would have been demolished by now, man i miss fishing back in Scotland, i even sold my boat this year cos i'm not coming back. Have to make do with the odd trip back now for skate and a wee bit of shooting.

Here's one for you, any of you know of my old mate Stevie Donnachie from Ayrshire ?? been a long time since i heard from him, happypiker.

The pier is in a real mess. You have to watch your footing all the time.I certainly could not fancy

fishing it during darkness :headhurt:

The Snatcher lure I took the pollack on I have decided to frame and hang up around the house somewhere,or maybe at the Clash if Martin wants it.

Bigpollacklure.jpg

It is looking a tad mangled but it did take more than one pollack that day :rolleyes:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Here you go as promised.Just got sent these from my mate Bill.They show the fish in a better light.

Bigpollack3.jpg

Bigpollack2.jpg

Bigpollack1.jpg

Would like to try and better 11.25 lbs next year and fishing with Onyermarks will give me my best chance. Thanks once again to Mally and Ian for making it possible :thumbs:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Here you go as promised.Just got sent these from my mate Bill.They show the fish in a better light.

[images deleted, we can see them in the original thread thanks - John S ;) ]

Would like to try and better 11.25 lbs next year and fishing with Onyermarks will give me my best chance. Thanks once again to Mally and Ian for making it possible :thumbs:

:clap2: Nice skate bait there mate, don't let Norrie see it. :clap2:

Edited by John S