Putting line on a Multiplier

Happyguy73

Cheers Guys!

I actually got my knots mixed up, meant a double fishermans knot but Grinner seems to be a stronger knot and I will use it, found some good step b step links on tying them too :thumbs:

Great tip with the Vaseline Ken Davison South Wales! I am only going to be castin g gently till I get the hang of it and the vaseline sounds like it might help my confidence build too.

I am going to place the reel down low I think too as I read that it would be easier brake with my thumb on left hand.

Am so looking forwrd to gettin up the coast and trying it out, will probabaly find a quiet mark and practice away where noone can see my mistakes :clap2:

fortunately there are loads of quiet marks around my way!

Always guaranteed to spark a reaction -

Don't put your reel down for rods less than 14'. (Paul Kerry lives, OK?)

Over grass OK; for comfortable fishing a 'pain in the bottom'!

Over 14' and it gives a much better balance especially to longer rods still!

A good technique with a 'comfortable to reel-in rod' is much more satisfying and capable of 150m with bait.

:wallbash:

Always guaranteed to spark a reaction -

Don't put your reel down for rods less than 14'. (Paul Kerry lives, OK?)

Over grass OK; for comfortable fishing a 'pain in the bottom'!

Over 14' and it gives a much better balance especially to longer rods still!

A good technique with a 'comfortable to reel-in rod' is much more satisfying and capable of 150m with bait.

:wallbash:

Thank H.A.

The rods I have are 13'6" + reducer and 12'6" so I will try some experimenting with reel position and see how i get on

I dont need huge distance but 100-150m would be great if I can get the hang of it are a lifetime of FS reels!

I am looking forward to getting out and trying all the tips I have been given by all you guys :thumbs:

many thanks to you all for all your help and kind advice to all my posts so far

Edited by Adamskerritt

The other spool is geting Sakuma night crystal 20lb and I will use Ultima trace body crystal 50lb for shock leader

When connecting a leader especially with mono and the leader is double the mainline it pays to tie a double in the mainliine then tie a double Uni with that.

That way the line diameters are similar when joining the two and maximum knot strength is achieved.

When laying on your mono line run it under tension through a wet or damp cloth. Don't go ballistic on the tension, finger tight.

If your overhead real doesn't have a pawl based line layer when you wind the line on every say approx 50 metres do a radical zig zag to prevent line cutting back in on its self when put under pressure. That way when you belt out that mega cast or under pressure to a big fish the line isn't cut in and the line lets off an almighty crack.

When laying the line don't be obsessed with ultra mega tension especially on graphite spools because the nature of mono especially around 30lb will create that much pressure you could warp or blow the spool to pieces.

When laying braid be sure to underlay with mono as a full spool of braid can spin on especially an aluminum spool. Braid has relatively no stretch so less tension is created hence a full spool slip.

Personally if I have a small spool which will need a full spool of braid I wrap electricians tape 2 wraps on the spool to prevent a full spool slip. I cant guarantee its definite success because haven't yet done it long enough (2 years) to say its a certainty.

If I lose a lot of braid for some unknown reason there is no reason why you cant top shot with say fluorocarbon. Remember though that depending on the brand of braid it maybe as much as 50% stronger than its stated rating so while you may have success before with the lower rated fluorocarbon you may get bust offs with what is certainly a more correctly stated breaking strain. You can top shot with the use of a double uni or a bimini double and roll knot or Albright.

Many land based anglers are starting to do this. If the topshot becomes damaged you can rip it off and replace without the full cost of a new spool of braid. The carbon also has low stretch properties but not as great as braid.

The fluorocarbon is a great idea if you are fishing reefy areas where braid will be cut easily by serrated objects.

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

When connecting a leader especially with mono and the leader is double the mainline it pays to tie a double in the mainliine then tie a double Uni with that.

That way the line diameters are similar when joining the two and maximum knot strength is achieved.

When laying on your mono line run it under tension through a wet or damp cloth. Don't go ballistic on the tension, finger tight.

If your overhead real doesn't have a pawl based line layer when you wind the line on every say approx 50 metres do a radical zig zag to prevent line cutting back in on its self when put under pressure. That way when you belt out that mega cast or under pressure to a big fish the line isn't cut in and the line lets off an almight crack.

Cheers UK_Ozzie,

Thanks for the info and tips! I must find out how to tie those knots as I never have done them before.

Excellent tip with the zig zagging too! its my first time using multipliers so I wouldnt have theought of that and last thing i want tis for line to crack.

many thanks for your help :thumbs: