Has the nations obsession with Carp gone too far ?

rarepleasures

My experiences at Woodlakes last week has led me to the opinion that the angling world's obsession with carp has now gone too far.

First - the attitude: I must catch a high double figure Carp nothing else is worthwhile, if I don't my days been wasted, I'm not interested in hearing about the 1lb Rudd you caught

Second - the technique: 3lb tc Carp rods with 20lb mainline, buzzers, 16 Kilos of groundbait, no matter whether is appropriate or not.

Third - Fish welfare ? : what about fish welfare ?

Forth - the resultant damage : I saw SO many damaged mouths on this trip, one ripped from mouth to 'ear'.

I witnessed anglers of all ages/experience 'hauling' fish into their landing nets with no regard to their safetly or well being, whilst applauding crowds looked on, just so they could get that photograph.

I feel I know the limits of my knowledge, and if I get into situations I feel I'm not doing the right thing, I stop and go and seek some advice.

But sadly I feel I am in the minority in that regard.

Tony

Tony

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with every word you say but is it a commercial thing rather than a carp fishing thing?

I really can't get excited either about hauling poor carp out of muddy pools....regardless of size

Theres something to that. I caught new PB's for Perch, Roach and Rudd and was hoping to get a Tench, but neither myself nor the couple of other people targeting them managed to land one - there were just too many Carp.

In the small pool in required no effort at all to hook a 4lb Carp - just stick a boilie on a hair rig and 10 minutes later you can one on the hook.

Yet no one seemed to think 'hang on this is too easy, I need a challenge'. They just kept on doing it.

Tony

Tony

I've fished waters where people have gone home in a huff if they haven't caught 10 carp by midday. "Oh the weather's crap, not worth fishing now. I've only had 5 this morning."

I don't go anywhere near these places in summer. I really dislike them. Not all of them. Some are nice and well managed. But too many are just like you;ve described. It's the atmosphere, the noise, the swearing, the lack of respect etc that can be very unpleasant.

"HEY DAVE! YOU CAUGHT ANYFINK YET?!"

"WHAT?"

"YOU CAUGHT ANY FISH, YOU DEAF ****"

"F*** O**

Lovely!

But like you've said, some have huge roach and perch etc............................ :thumbs:

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I think there is a certain mentality surrounding some of these places and a lot of it seems to be younger anglers who seem to be swayed by all the new trends and advertising the magazines put out on a monthly basis with kit etc.

I does seem the modus operandi is to use the heaviest gear possible and bombard the opposite bank whilst telling your mate a few swims down about the domestic you've had with the missus last night which is clearly audible to the whole lake lol !

A friend of mine actually got sworn at/abused just because he was catching lots of fish....now that is really sour, dumb behaviour

Edited by Neil G

Third - Fish welfare ? : what about fish welfare ?

I must fish with a different kind of angler - take a look at the following article. This kind of fish care is typical with the carp anglers that I know:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Carp-Fishing-A.../carp_care.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have been saying for many years that one day carp will be regarded as vermin in this country, just like in Australia and the USA. With the increasingly warmer climate they are now breeding successfully, something which was almost unheard of twenty years ago. I don't like any species of fish whose presence can be predicted just by looking at an aerial photo of the water!

I've posted this link before. This is Cheshire Fishing, a mixed trout and coarse fishery near Tattenhall. Guess which ponds are which!

airpic3.JPG

Guest tigger
Forth - the resultant damage : I saw SO many damaged mouths on this trip, one ripped from mouth to 'ear'.

Tony

The way I see it is ; at least those fish are purpose bred for commercials and wouldn't exist otherwise. They have a continuous supply of food, are protected from "THE POLISH" or anyone else interested in munching on them. Also I'd rather them get damaged by novice fishermen than have wild fish damaged.

I've stated my views on this topic several times but I will make this further comment - it's even worse when it's happening on a dear old water that holds some special memories. I caught my first ever fish at Woodlakes and fished there regularly throughout my childhood. It changed dramatically during that time and it seems the 'progression' has not stopped since.

I haven't been there for over 15 years and I doubt I'll ever go back but when I fished there it wasn't a muddy puddle it was a series of three lovely old gravel pits ideally suited to 'pleasure fishing' (I hate that term!) or stalking the carp in the overgrown nooks and crannies. The big fourth lake was a gin clear, weedy pit stocked with a sensible number of trout (a 2-fish limit could and often did take all day to catch) and needed long, accurate casting and fairly delicate presentation with small dries or nymphs. Quess what it's like now? Yup.

I don't like purpose dug holes which are over stocked with carp because, mainly, I feel sorry for the fish. The situation you describe at Woodlakes is not uncommon, unfortunately, and these fish need anglers' bait to survive. What chance have they got? And what achievement is it to catch them?

But, on a personal level, even worse is when an old, established water is stripped of its soul and turned into a grotesque caricature of itself. The driver behind it? Cash, pure and simple.

I can think of several waters I fished as a kid which have gone down this route and there's no turning back for them. Weigh this against declining river anglers (except where barbel are concerned) which could result in clubs not renewing leases, and the future looks questionable.

Why people think carp are superiour is beyond me. Back in the days of pioneering carp fishing, I've no doubt that they were the most exciting and difficult fish to pit your wits against, and somehow that sense of achievement still seems to apply to the poor old battered and torn fish which get hoiked out several times a week on stupidly strong tackle from a grossly overstocked pond.

Whoops, did it again! Rant (finally) over.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The way I see it is ; at least those fish are purpose bred for commercials and wouldn't exist otherwise. They have a continuous supply of food, are protected from "THE POLISH" or anyone else interested in munching on them. Also I'd rather them get damaged by novice fishermen than have wild fish damaged.

Why? This makes literally no sense. Don't take this topic down the same predicable route, please...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music