Has the nations obsession with Carp gone too far ?

rarepleasures

I've posted this link before. This is Cheshire Fishing, a mixed trout and coarse fishery near Tattenhall. Guess which ponds are which!

Can I join in? Spot the carp puddle!

puddle.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
Why? This makes literally no sense. Don't take this topic down the same predicable route, please...

WTF are you on about.

The Polish thing was just a joke if that's what you mean :rolleyes:

What doesn't make sense ? the fact that the farmed fish(carp etc) are taking pressure off truly wild fish and there habitat. No one makes anyone go to a commercial, if you don't like em just don't go, the fishing world doesn't revolve round you and your mad cap ideas.

I'm not a lover of commercials but I can see their purpose and to me they're a good thing.

Regarding damage etc to the fish, most of the commercials have more rules in place to protect the fish's well being than anywhere.

Each to their own I suppose...some of the commercials I have fished have a good head of Pike too but I just hate fishing there due to the atmosphere.

I turned up with a lure rod a few months ago and you should have seen the looks (laughter).

It's is odd to think that when I started fishing as a kid we used to dream of catching carp and now look at the situation !

WTF are you on about.

The Polish thing was just a joke if that's what you mean :rolleyes:

Oh. ha ha. The old ones are the oldest, eh.

What doesn't make sense ? the fact that the farmed fish(carp etc) are taking pressure off truly wild fish and there habitat. No one makes anyone go to a commercial, if you don't like em just don't go, the fishing world doesn't revolve round you and your mad cap ideas.

I'm not a lover of commercials but I can see their purpose and to me they're a good thing.

Regarding damage etc to the fish, most of the commercials have more rules in place to protect the fish's well being than anywhere.

I don't see why a 'farmed fish' should be subjected to that kind of life. Honestly, the hypocrisy in fishing is bewildering. We ('we') don't care if a pond is crammed full of fish and that they're caught repeatedly with overly strong tackle. We don't care that their pathetic lives are stressful, miserable and pointless. But if someone puts a photo on here of a fish laid on grass and not a branded unhooking mat, or if we don't apply some branded antiseptic gel to the new tear in an already knackered mouth the screams of outrage are deafening.

I thought the modern, caring angler cares about the fish they catch. To suggest a wild fish is somehow 'better' than a stocked one is (to my mind anyway) ridiculous. For fishing to be fair, the fish has to have a sporting chance and the option of refusing a bait. Remove that and all you're left with is a kind of battery farming-esqe animal cruelty. You're right, I don't like them and I don't go to them, but I can see where it's leading.

Respecting the fish has nothing to do with gels or unhooking mats. They're living creatures for pity's sake.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As Elton's link shows, proper carp anglers care passionately about the well being of their fish and are just as dismissive of carp puddles as other anglers.

I think Tigger has a point. I'd rather see the numpties fish these types of waters than the nicer, harder to fish waters. But I think that a lot of the commercial farmed carp deserve better. But it's a very quick slippery slope before someone says "should you be fishing at all if you're that worried about damaging fish?"

I've caught a couple of carp that I would have rather banged on the head than return but I returned them anyway because it wouldn't have gone down well. One of these instances was caused by my own inexperience. I was fishing too close to snags and didn't react to stop the fish in time before it went ploughing through them. Not a pretty sight. But at least I learnt a lesson and have never repeated it.

I hate watching people haul them in and then say "it hardly even fought!".

I think the smaller waters should be netted more often and the old fish removed but the owners don't have the time, money or inclination for this.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

But it's a very quick slippery slope before someone says "should you be fishing at all if you're that worried about damaging fish?"

I don't think its a slippery slope at all. How about simply just scaling down your set up for something more appropriate and not hauling on the fish like it was a sack of potatos.

Tony

Tony

Guest tigger
Oh. ha ha. The old ones are the oldest, eh.

I don't see why a 'farmed fish' should be subjected to that kind of life. Honestly, the hypocrisy in fishing is bewildering. We ('we') don't care if a pond is crammed full of fish and that they're caught repeatedly with overly strong tackle. We don't care that their pathetic lives are stressful, miserable and pointless. But if someone puts a photo on here of a fish laid on grass and not a branded unhooking mat, or if we don't apply some branded antiseptic gel to the new tear in an already knackered mouth the screams of outrage are deafening.

I thought the modern, caring angler cares about the fish they catch. To suggest a wild fish is somehow 'better' than a stocked one is (to my mind anyway) ridiculous. For fishing to be fair, the fish has to have a sporting chance and the option of refusing a bait. Remove that and all you're left with is a kind of battery farming-esqe animal cruelty. You're right, I don't like them and I don't go to them, but I can see where it's leading.

Respecting the fish has nothing to do with gels or unhooking mats. They're living creatures for pity's sake.

Who says their lives are pathetic, stressful, miserable and pointless......you?

As far as I can see they get well fed in a predator free place. [Edited] Cattle etc are bred for a purpose the same goes for Pheasnt's Partridge etc on a shoot otherwise they simply wouldn't exist.

To me your post sounds like it's been written by a person who's bordering on packing it in [Edited].

I would say the majority of anglers do care for the fish they catch even on commercials beleive it or not Anderoo.

[Edited]

Edited by John S

Enough about the fish...it's the people that go there which are the worst.

I turn up and the car park is full of builders, scaffolders & plumbers vans which says it all really...being on some of these places is like being on a site with the same base level humour and lairyness.

If it's not that is loads of chavs from Bristol having a day out and adding to the noise levels having lakeside barbeques etc.

I suppose like someone said earlier...if your not too keen on these places then just go elsewhere. I'm pretty certain the commercial fishery isn't going to die off in a hurry, if anything they are going to become more common/accessible.

The obvious difference is that cattle aren't kept in overcrowded conditions. I don't eat poultry or pork unless it's free range (because chickens, etc. and pigs are usually kept in terrible conditions - and saying who cares, they're going to be eaten anyway is no argument at all), ditto eggs. There's no hypocrisy there. If I thought catching fish was wrong I wouldn't do it. But in my eyes creating these fisheries is tantamount to cruelty. I thought we were guardians of the waterways and cared about nature?

I know many people think that commercials saved fishing in this country, but I reckon they are what will finish it off.

I also don't like the idea of birds being bred just so they can be released and shot at. I don't know why just because I'm a fisherman I'm supposed to find all this OK.

The current scene is such that I want nothing to do with most of it, that is true. I find it pretty bleak and on days like this when I'm tired and stressed I tend to get ranty about it :rolleyes:

Edited by John S
Quote deleted as I've edited the other post....

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
Enough about the fish...it's the people that go there which are the worst.

I turn up and the car park is full of builders, scaffolders & plumbers vans which says it all really...being on some of these places is like being on a site with the same base level humour and lairyness.

If it's not that is loads of chavs from Bristol having a day out and adding to the noise levels having lakeside barbeques etc.

I suppose like someone said earlier...if your not too keen on these places then just go elsewhere. I'm pretty certain the commercial fishery isn't going to die off in a hurry, if anything they are going to become more common/accessible.

Nowt wrong with builders and the like Neil but.........

At least there all concentrated there and not spread up and down the rivers etc leaving all their garbage where it won't get cleaned up.