Sweetcorn

rarepleasures

The Angling rags recommended brand of sweetcorn is GGG, so its the one I've always bought. But Woodlakes on site shop only sold Happy Shopper (and Princes).

A cheaper source of artifical corn I don't think you'll find. Most of the kernals in the tins I bought were like bullets. Not nice to eat but perfect for threading up the shank of a hook, and they withstood repeated casting.

So from now on its Happy Shopper for me, now to find a shop in London that sells it.

Tony

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

Happy Shopper is the own brand label of Bookers, who are food wholesalers. If you run a business you can buy from Bookers, otherwise you're not supposed to be given a card.

I have a card for Wingham but haven't used it for ages, partly because the nearest store is in Canterbury and thus too far away, and partly because Aldi in Hythe is nearer and usually cheaper. However, Bookers do sell extra large tins etc for the catering trade.

I can't comment on Happy Shopper sweetcorn as I've never used it, but it sounds as if it's worth a look.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If you have a LIDL store near you their sweetcorn is between 17/19P per tin with pull ring :thumbs:

but Aldi/Netto do it about same price with out pull ring

and fish don't know it's the cheap stuff they car'nt read :D

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

If you have a LIDL store near you their sweetcorn is between 17/19P per tin with pull ring :thumbs:

but Aldi/Netto do it about same price with out pull ring

and fish don't know it's the cheap stuff they car'nt read :D

I use Tesco's Value corn - a few pence more expensive at 22p but I like the mix of kernel sizes you get, the more expensive corn is too uniform in size for me.

The flavoured and coloured corn in the tackle shops has to be one of the biggest rip-offs around at over a pound a tin - if I want it flavoured or coloured I'll do it myself, food colourings are pence a bottle as are flavours (unless you must use a "carp" flavouring).

Will

The flavoured and coloured corn in the tackle shops has to be one of the biggest rip-offs around at over a pound a tin - if I want it flavoured or coloured I'll do it myself, food colourings are pence a bottle as are flavours (unless you must use a "carp" flavouring).

Hear, hear! :thumbs:

In fact it's so effective that I haven't used unflavoured corn for many years.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hear, hear! :thumbs:

In fact it's so effective that I haven't used unflavoured corn for many years.

I bought a bottle of tutti frutti liquid flavouring the other day can you give me some advice on how to flavour sweetcorn with it? If I would guess I would mix some in some water and then soak the sweetcorn in the water overnight, is this right?

Errrm

I haven't used tutti-fruttie for years. These days I use Archie Braddock's products and he doesn't do this flavour. I mention this as the dosage will be different for different products. As a guide, for Archie's flavourings I use a capful (I think it's 5ml) to every 2 twelve ounce tins of sweetcorn. I simply pour it in to a bait box containing the 2 tins of corn and give it a good stir!

I'd add that liquid flavours can evaporate over the course of a session and so may need topping up. I tend to just go by smell now.

However, whatever flavour you use, do err on the cautious side as too much flavour can actually put the fish off.