Can't get a smouthound

Satchmo

Despite seeing others do so, I've never been able to catch a smoothound off Chesil Beach (been trying for a couple of years from Bexington). I cast about 50-60 yds using peelers and 4/0 hooks on a single hook flapper. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Any tips?

3/0-1/0 pennel hooks on an up and over rig with a 3ft + snood

big juicy peeler wound on loosely with cotton (not too tight as it seals in the juices)

blast it out

wait....

wait.....

WWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!

FISH ON!!!

reel it in....

admire it.....and return

then repeat

lol

Go to a better 'smoothie' venue like Selsey ......

or Pagham (W Sussex).

Get a boat trip out of Langstone at this time of year and you are bound to score.......

fabulous on mee leetle American Baitcaster/Abu 5000/20lb braid .......

too many 'doggies' at Chesil.

dont bother as soon as you get one and ask how to cook it threats of punishment come from other fishermen (especially around the solent) :confused:

they dont taste very nice anyway :( any recipes for dolphin

?????

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Satchmo:

(been trying for a couple of years from Bexington).

Find some deeper water at the Portland end of the beach!

Show SandTiger where he can catch a big Common Skate from the shore and he might, just might, tell you where to catch Smoothounds.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Caught my first ever smoothhound the other day on a bunch of rageworm, and fish n strip on the end.

Not much rag left on, so may have been the strip, or just luck!

Have just caught a 2lb 3 bearded rockling though! Not much by the standards on here, but I am well pleased!

B.A.S.S. member