uptide fishing

james hunt

Hi James, I bought a Ron Thompson uptider, for toping in the summer,havent tried it yet, but,took it out with me on the boat,just in case....It was leaning against the cabin, fell down, and one of the inserts shattered, my fault I know....The finish is great for what you pay, and I know that Peterthefisherman had or has one and swears by it.... :D I got mine on Ebay for about £17.00,incl.P+P,but granted,it was the middle of the night when the auction was finishing.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guest jay_con

I have a cheap leeda uptider. Its a great rod and has no problem at all in the average tide flows we have here. My friend has a cheap ron thompson and that is fine too

You will be fine with any of the cheep uptiders but perhaps would be better spending more on a decent reel.

Go for the lightest rod you can get away with depending on tide sizes and depth. An 5-9 oz uptider equates to a 30 lb class rod, which isn't going to give you much sport on a 5 lb fish

Also try bouncing a small bomb downtide as i recon this will beat uptiding most days. Mainly because fish are more likely to attack a moving bait.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ron Thompson should be OK, I have two RT boat rods and they are fine. My uptider was a pressie - ABU Conolon with a nice extending handle but a bit more pricy. I use a Penn 535 reel which is very sweet. When the tide is not too mad I cast out sideways with a plain bomb and let the tide roll it in a big sweep until its downtide, then bounce the lead further downtide. You cover a lot of seabed that way.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Are you fishing with john Rawle or on Terry Batts boat the Vicky Emma, these two skippers I think will hire tackle of good quality. They are both good skippers and you should catch a few cods and roker. Take faulkland island squid if you can get them.

If it was pink squid it was very old, no wonder there were no bites. Good quality frozen squid should be lilly white. The only fish I know that actually prefer rotten squid are dabs, but you need tiddly hooks for them. Good eating though

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk