Using Power Pro for beach casting

paoreill

I just bought a Century CM rod and a Penn 525 Mag.

I was intending puting 30lb power pro but was told that this braid is not recomended for long distance casting. Has anyone used this line for long distance casting and if so is it worth while.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best line to use.

[ 15. December 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: paoreill ]

I've never got into using braid for anything other than fishing straight down from a boat (with a mono leader). The low diameter and non stretch really comes into its own then. I still use mono for uptiding though! - not entirely sure the pros outweigh the cons from the shore - It can be expensive and is not that easy to cast with IMO - stick to 15lb mono + 80lb leader for open clean ground, 18-20lb mono + 80lb leader for mixed ground and 30lb mono straight through for rough ground would be my advice.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

I do know that the Striped Bass fishermen use it, from the beaches in the USA, but they are not casting 100 yards plus.

Some carp anglers use braid as a main line and they may cast over 100 yards.

Perhaps one will respond.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

but was told that this braid is not recomended for long distance casting

I'd love to know the Why of that. The line is slick, limp (almost totally without memory) and very small diameter for it's b/s.

I use and like it on both casting (multiplier) and eggbeater (fixed spool) reels.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I use Power Pro for freshwater lure fishing up to 65lb bs on both multipliers and fixed spool BUT like all braids particularly low diameter braids it has a tendency to 'stick' That means it jambs just a little in the line underneath. That reduces the speed at which it flies off the spool. The trick to tangle free baitcasting is to balance the speed that the line comes off the spool with the speed of the spool. Now thats not so difficult when say jerkbaiting in freshwater. Distance is not an issue so the spool runs relatively slowly and you can adjust the spool tension and brakes to match. However double handed power casting on a beach is a totally different animal and I'm not sure how 30lb Power Pro would react to a reel spool turning at high speed with 5/6 ozs of lead driving it. I suspect it would be interesting to say the least. Its worth a try but I would probably want to experiment with a thicker(and cheaper)braid like Fireline that is less likely to 'bed in'. Start with a gentle overhead lob and see what happens. No dramas ? then keep winding on the power until you reach a point where the line starts to lift dangerously off the spool, you'll feel it with your thumb which should be barely touching the line coming off the spool. If you are happy with the results then treat yourself to some Power Pro.

[ 16. December 2003, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I use 50lb PowerPro on my 6500CS MagElite for jerkbaiting and also feathering mackerel in the summer. It does work fine but I am only casting 100 to 125 yds, though you do have to be very careful with the tension and line lay . It can dig in very easily on the spool if you do not keep it even, but I can continually cast for a couple of hours without a birdie, so it can be done. However, I only use it on my CS Mag as I don't fancy thumbing braid for hours on end either.

You do have to set the brakes and spool tension for a smooth cast though as any overspooling and the smallest of lifting coils will give a birdie much quickier than mono does. With mono I keep my thumb just above the spool throughout the cast and if I feel loose coils coming up I just slow the spool a touch and it is fine. Try that with braid and it doesnt work as often. Plus the thumb burn if you get it wrong with braid would be much worse, and getting a loose oil around your thumb doesn't bear thinking about.

Keeping the brakes just right can also be difficult in windy conditions, so I prefer mono if conditions are awkward.

I have 20lb on a fixed spool for spinning and it is fine too, but again you have to be careful to keep an even tension as any slightly loose coils will get you.

I have bait fished with it on clean ground as well, with both fixed spool and the CS Mag. Unbelievable bite detection, but stay well clear of any rough ground as the abrasion resistance is pretty much zero.

As well as the difficulties mentioned when casting (mono has a degree of 'springiness' to it which helps to feed off the rotating spool), all shore angling, even from the cleanest of beaches, with a leader, will cause abrasion to the trace end of your line above the leader knot. I'm not sure braid will stand up to this particularly well, not to mention the cost.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Thanks to all for the replies, i am still tempted to try it and see if it has many over runs. I am a bit bored using mono on long casts, it has pretty poor bit detection.

I have a question for Newt.

The reason i was told not to use it was 1. if you do get a birds nest and get your finger caught in a loop you are at risk of losing it due to it strength and small diameter.

2. It may bed in badly and is prone to abrasion.

Q. Do you use it casting from the beach....?

[ 16. December 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: paoreill ]

It certainly can bed in but usually only if you pull for a break without anything keeping pull off the reel. I solved that by keeping a smooth stick handy and if I need to break off, I wrap the line around the stick a few times and pull against that. Fish and casting don't seem to cause me the problem on multiplier style reels or on fixed spool ones either.

Certainly with the fine diameter and high b/s if you wrap it around a finger or hand and pull hard it will cut like a wire thru cheese. I avoid doing that though. And finger protection for power casting with fixed spool reels is essential.

Abrasion resistance is similar to, though better than, mono of the same DIAMETER. This means that 30lb powerpro should be compared to 8lb mono.

If you are fishing a rocky/snaggy area, probably an excellent idea to put on some 100lb like you would a shock leader so you'll have the diameter of 20lb mono at the business end. I keep a short spool of 100lb and one of 150lb just for that use while my mainline is 50lb.

At this time I'm using powerpro for everything except a couple of specialized freshwater lure applications.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt is quite right about braid having similar abrasion resistance to the same diameter mono, although I think it is technically slightly less, but that is why I don't use it on rough ground. I use 35lb or 40lb mono straight through and 100lb braid is still only half that thickness. Given that I frequently cut back my line due to scrapes and nicks, and totally replace it every few sessions, the cost of using 'equivalent' braid would be horrendous. Plus I don't fancy pulling for a break with 100lb braid standing on wet rocks in a blizzard. Bite detection isnt usually such a problem either as most of my rough ground fishing is close anyway, and the bites are more of the rod-falling-out-of-the-rest type!