Chieftain

MARTING

Well, did you go, did you catch and where are the photo's Mr Motorola. Report.

:fishing1::fishing1::fishing1: Please.

Report to follow,,not been well mate. Chest infection.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report to follow,,not been well mate. Chest infection.

Sorry to hear that Mr Motorola. GWSoon.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The trip started as always by leaving the port of Whitby at 1.00pm. The lads were all in high spirits of the possible great trip in question. So , off we went , the sea was slight and the air filled with men chatting about their tactics for the Cod. The proposed fishing area was some 140 miles offshore on a hotspot called the “Indefat” ??? banks. According to the skipper George , this particular area is notorious for plump cod and plenty of it.

Anyway , the evening meal came around 6.00pm ish (pie and peas) and mmmmmm Joyce dosen’t dissapoint either , absolutely gorgeous.With a couple of cans down the neck to wash it down it was time for bed.

The following morning around 7.30ish we were on the banks , rods over the side and ready to go. Looking over the side of the boat I noticed that the colour of the water was almost brown , this was probably due to the northerly blow that had occurred a couple of days previous , with that and only in depths of 20 metres (deepest) I knew we were in for a tough old day. What has become the norm on this boat (for me anyway) is the shout from the skipper “right ho lads” and down to the bottom as fast as you can the bang , straight into fish. So the call came and I was over expectant of the same , but , no the lines were all down on the bottom with not even the slightest of taps / knocks , nothing. The lures / rigs being used were of all different variations , ranging from shads , tiger tails , twin tails , hokkais , feathers , muppets with 2-3 of the lads using squid too. The fish were having none of it , lines back up , re-setting of the boat for the drift but still nothing. Having given up on the first wreck after some 4-5 attempts at it , it was on to the next wreck , but , still no cod. The ever reliable forecast gave estimates of 5-10 knot SE , trust me it was more around the 15-20 knot range. And all the while , the colour of the water seemed to be getting browner and browner.It wasn’t until the 3rd wreck that we started to find the fish , most of them being in the 5-10 pound mark and I would say 70% of them being foul hooked. Obviously the Cod had their heads down on the bottom and either weren’t feeding or (my guess) the colour of the water was that bad that they simply couldn’t see the lures.

Anyway , with a change in tide the Cod were beginning to show themselves and more and more began coming over the side. This was pretty much “ par” for the day / conditions with all of the anglers getting enough Cod to take back home to the table and enjoy. Nursing (at the time a heavy cold) it was hard going for me , but , as they say , “you can’t win em all” This trip was by no means my best trip but I will be back with a vengeance next year to make up for it. What the poor conditions did do though is give me a bit more time to practise and almost perfect my filleting art and also get Challenges little trick of taking the bones out WHILE STILL FILLETING off to perfection. At least the 2 blokes who came with me (72 + 80 years old) enjoyed themselves, which I suppose is what fishing is all about ………….Enjoyment.

Tight Lines…….Carl aka Mr Antibiotic (at the moment)

P.s. sorry for the lack of photos , I forget to take the bloody thing.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

The trip started as always by leaving the port of Whitby at 1.00pm. The lads were all in high spirits of the possible great trip in question. So , off we went , the sea was slight and the air filled with men chatting about their tactics for the Cod. The proposed fishing area was some 140 miles offshore on a hotspot called the “Indefat” ??? banks. According to the skipper George , this particular area is notorious for plump cod and plenty of it.

Anyway , the evening meal came around 6.00pm ish (pie and peas) and mmmmmm Joyce dosen’t dissapoint either , absolutely gorgeous.With a couple of cans down the neck to wash it down it was time for bed.

The following morning around 7.30ish we were on the banks , rods over the side and ready to go. Looking over the side of the boat I noticed that the colour of the water was almost brown , this was probably due to the northerly blow that had occurred a couple of days previous , with that and only in depths of 20 metres (deepest) I knew we were in for a tough old day. What has become the norm on this boat (for me anyway) is the shout from the skipper “right ho lads” and down to the bottom as fast as you can the bang , straight into fish. So the call came and I was over expectant of the same , but , no the lines were all down on the bottom with not even the slightest of taps / knocks , nothing. The lures / rigs being used were of all different variations , ranging from shads , tiger tails , twin tails , hokkais , feathers , muppets with 2-3 of the lads using squid too. The fish were having none of it , lines back up , re-setting of the boat for the drift but still nothing. Having given up on the first wreck after some 4-5 attempts at it , it was on to the next wreck , but , still no cod. The ever reliable forecast gave estimates of 5-10 knot SE , trust me it was more around the 15-20 knot range. And all the while , the colour of the water seemed to be getting browner and browner.It wasn’t until the 3rd wreck that we started to find the fish , most of them being in the 5-10 pound mark and I would say 70% of them being foul hooked. Obviously the Cod had their heads down on the bottom and either weren’t feeding or (my guess) the colour of the water was that bad that they simply couldn’t see the lures.

Anyway , with a change in tide the Cod were beginning to show themselves and more and more began coming over the side. This was pretty much “ par” for the day / conditions with all of the anglers getting enough Cod to take back home to the table and enjoy. Nursing (at the time a heavy cold) it was hard going for me , but , as they say , “you can’t win em all” This trip was by no means my best trip but I will be back with a vengeance next year to make up for it. What the poor conditions did do though is give me a bit more time to practise and almost perfect my filleting art and also get Challenges little trick of taking the bones out WHILE STILL FILLETING off to perfection. At least the 2 blokes who came with me (72 + 80 years old) enjoyed themselves, which I suppose is what fishing is all about ………….Enjoyment.

Tight Lines…….Carl aka Mr Antibiotic (at the moment)

P.s. sorry for the lack of photos , I forget to take the bloody thing.

Well the report was top notch even if the fishing wasn't this time, worth waiting for and thank you Carl.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

[

O dear not enough Ju-Ju Mr M. Hope you feel a lot better just got back from Oban i will post later to day.

Regards MartinG

Thanks for the post.Always remember a bad days fishing is still better than a good days working.

The conditions you experienced are all part of fishing in the North Sea, in these conditions very often in my limited experience a bit of correctly presented bait fished hard down would result in a few fish fowl hooked in the lip.

This is fresh bait .i.e mussel tipped with squid or fresh mackeral (a strip not a chunk) also shell on prawns, all fished on a bait rig not empailed on jigging gear.

Most of the occasions I fished on Chieftain I took with me a few fresh mussels and a box of squid in the freezer,the little bit of bait presented with care will also take a few bonus fish when at slack water the boat is becalmed stationary over a mark.

I am affraid with the advent of jig fishing the humble but very efective the (correctly presented) bait has fallen into disuse, as is the techneque of opening mussels.

Great to hear you are perfecting your filliting,this again in my very humble opinion is as much a part of sea angling as is catching, I can but think if more of our number took responcibilty for their catch, gutting, filliting and stowing in a cool place, less would be heard of spoiled and dumped fish and after all it is all part of the overall topic that is sea angling.

Carl, the older piscators that were on your trip, was one of them the older gentlemam that was in your party when you first came aboard all that time ago? I refere to the man who apart from his angling equipment, had with him probably the finest selection of bar towels ever assembled in one place.

Tell me Carl, do you still wear the T shirt (DILLIGAF).

Martin, look forward to hearing about Oban.Tight lines.

Regards for now Paddy W

Thanks for the post.Always remember a bad days fishing is still better than a good days working.

The conditions you experienced are all part of fishing in the North Sea, in these conditions very often in my limited experience a bit of correctly presented bait fished hard down would result in a few fish fowl hooked in the lip.

This is fresh bait .i.e mussel tipped with squid or fresh mackeral (a strip not a chunk) also shell on prawns, all fished on a bait rig not empailed on jigging gear.

Most of the occasions I fished on Chieftain I took with me a few fresh mussels and a box of squid in the freezer,the little bit of bait presented with care will also take a few bonus fish when at slack water the boat is becalmed stationary over a mark.

I am affraid with the advent of jig fishing the humble but very efective the (correctly presented) bait has fallen into disuse, as is the techneque of opening mussels.

Great to hear you are perfecting your filliting,this again in my very humble opinion is as much a part of sea angling as is catching, I can but think if more of our number took responcibilty for their catch, gutting, filliting and stowing in a cool place, less would be heard of spoiled and dumped fish and after all it is all part of the overall topic that is sea angling.

Carl, the older piscators that were on your trip, was one of them the older gentlemam that was in your party when you first came aboard all that time ago? I refere to the man who apart from his angling equipment, had with him probably the finest selection of bar towels ever assembled in one place.

Tell me Carl, do you still wear the T shirt (DILLIGAF).

Martin, look forward to hearing about Oban.Tight lines.

Regards for now Paddy W

Hiya Charlie , how you keeping / hows the family??

Aye i know about the fishing mate , but trust me , i ain't complaining about (you should know that by know) just the feeling of being out there in the middle of no-where is enough for me .Heaven. It was just one of those days , where everything was against us , but , nevermind , it'll take more than one bad days fishing for me to hang up the fishing gear for good.

In ref to the old man who was with me on our very 1st trip......Yes the guy in question is Harry Bentham , known to many in Whitby and he's probably forgotten more about sea fishing than i will ever know. I take my hat off to the man , he's 80 years old , with 9 heart attacks behind him , 3 angina attacks and all he wants to do ALL THE TIME is fish. The man just will not say no , he won't give up!!!

DILLIGAF a bit of the old Kevin "Bloody" Wilson eh?? Haven't worn it for a while , but , i might wear it down the local and ruffle a couple of feathers. Can you remember what i had put on the back of the same t-shirt?? "I work so hard because millions of benefit cheats rely on it"

I think i'll leave the "offshore" idea with the Chieftain while early next year , with the weather being so fickle , i think it's not worth bothering with through the winter months.

Very nice to hear from you Charlie "me old salt" , talking to you on the Chieftain was always inspiring and educational , so...........when can we expect to see you on the boat???? Some time soon i hope.

Tight Lines , Carl

[Thanks for the promt reply Carl.

I did not take it as a moan but a true record of the trip, I am well aware you are made of more resilient stuff, had forgotten the name but of cause it was Harry.

Packing up fishing for such people will only lead to one thing and he ain't ready for a box yet!!

Please pass on my regards and best wishes to Harry, I had forgotten the second part of the T shirt.

Re the Chieftain, when earlier in the year we were in the U.K visiting family I booked on the boat but the weather was against it, must try again next year.Yes most of us enjoyed evenings on the patio relating fishy tails and taking the odd libation, GREAT MEMORIES.

Last winter we went to see our son in Kev's country, we sat on jettys and caught small Snapper and Brim, I also hooked a couple of Sting rays which I do'nt thing even realised they were hooked and of cause the enevertable happend.Must drop you a P.M when the system allows.

Tight lines.

Paddy W