Perfect grinner knot using microfilament wire?

Angly

I'm attempting to make up some traces using Drennan's Soft Strand, for which they recommend a 3-turn grinner knot (which I believe is also called the Uni-knot?).

The problem I have is when tightening the knot the main line (as opposed to loose end) becomes curled. The obvious answer is to not pull the mainline, relying on just pulling the loose end, but I find this doesn't tighten the knot fully.

Where am I going wrong?

I have noticed that by heating the pre-tensioned curly wire to red heat, the strands relax, and the curl disappears. The colouring is lost of course during this process, but the wire is labelled as stainless so I'm hoping it's just decorative. Initial testing doesn't reveal any loss of strength, but of course I'd much rather do the job properly in the first place.

Geoff

Guest tigger
I'm attempting to make up some traces using Drennan's Soft Strand, for which they recommend a 3-turn grinner knot (which I believe is also called the Uni-knot?).

The problem I have is when tightening the knot the main line (as opposed to loose end) becomes curled. The obvious answer is to not pull the mainline, relying on just pulling the loose end, but I find this doesn't tighten the knot fully.

Where am I going wrong?

I have noticed that by heating the pre-tensioned curly wire to red heat, the strands relax, and the curl disappears. The colouring is lost of course during this process, but the wire is labelled as stainless so I'm hoping it's just decorative. Initial testing doesn't reveal any loss of strength, but of course I'd much rather do the job properly in the first place.

I'd do at least four turns in the knot and to help stop your line going crinckly I'd tie the knot loose and slide it down to my hook loose with plenty of spit then keep pulling the tag end a bit at a time and alternatly slide the knot to the hook until it's virtually tight then just pull your mainlind gently, you must keep plenty spit on your line all the way through. Alternativley use spade ends for a much better presentation plus no crinckly line! I've not long since started using spade ends and they really do hang better on your line in the smaller hooks at least.

Edited by tigger

Knotless knots are also handy for use with red Fox pop-ups. Attach the pop-up to the wire in the same way as a boilie and then tie a knotless-knot as Jim described. This way your pop-up is safely retrievable.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

One way to minimise the curling effect is to not wind the tag end around the mainline before making the loop,just make the loop and then your three/four turns. If you take a look at how Ive mounted the top hook in this set up you can also do the same (similar to the knotless knot style) for the bottom hook.

Some of the multi strand wires are a bit to soft to do this so I simply hold everything tight then put a piece of shrink tube/tight rubber over the shank to hold everything in place.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/894

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Right, as least I'm not going mad and it's not just me!

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions.

I'm loathed to use crimps because that's an extra expenditure and I'm trying desperately to curtail my end tackle budget.

Although I’d previously indicated that heating the wire solved the curling, it’s now obvious that this isn’t a viable option as in the process some microfilaments were broken.

However, whilst fiddling about, and completely by accident, I appear to have discovered a very simple knot that does seem to work. A 3-turn half blood knot. It doesn’t clench up as neat as one made on mono, but it does seem strong enough. A big advantage is one doesn’t need to pull on the mainline other than to provide a little tension. I’ll do some more reliability/strength testing tomorrow.

For the middle treble I’ve gone with a reduced turn knotless knot, and another 3-turn half blood knot for the swivel.

If I can test the rig to breaking point, and the wire goes before the knot every time, would you all consider that safe enough for ‘live ‘use? I’ll post some pics. of the knot if it works.

Geoff

Im not a great lover of crimps and in general prefer to spin/twist the wire.Trouble is some of the modern multi strands wont spin/twist up nicely (or more acurately will but come undone) if you use a "larks head" knot first (shown in that article I linked to) that really takes the strain and any twisting or whatever is just to tidy up the tag end.With some multi strand wires such as Wonderwire that wont spin I use the larks head to secure the bottom hook or swivel and just slide a crimp (whch is only very lightly crmped) over the tag end just to tidy it

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It may very well be my knot doesn't cut the mustard (or is that mustad!), I'm sure it's all been tried before and I'm attempting to reinvent the wheel here, in which case I will just copy your method. I am however going with the Tippexed barbed point from the off, great idea!

Geoff