chub/ barbel in surrey?

fishy_con

go as light as you can, be as quite as a mouse, keep as far back and as low as you can and be prepared to keep on the move trying likely swims and features, especially if fishing big baits, big lump of ledgered crust my fav. works really well if you pre bait the swims before hand with mashed bread, chub love it. good luck :thumbs:

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Hi again, i want to go fishing this weekend and i would like to try for some chub on the river wey (triggs lock area) just wondering if anyone had some tips as i could definatly use them!!

Is it the river or the navigation canal?.

Have fished the river around Byfleet and below Sutton Place many times.Would suggest roaming with a ledger rod(quiver tip),dropping into likely looking swims,meat,cheese and flake all good bets for chub.Would not stay put in one swim for to long.If there are any fish there,they should make their presence felt quite quickly.

If its the navigation then its a different kettle of fish.almost certainly have plenty of boat activity.Always found it fished better in the winter,certainly for chub.a fair few in there(or there used to be),but nothing of any great size.

Is it the river or the navigation canal?.

Have fished the river around Byfleet and below Sutton Place many times.Would suggest roaming with a ledger rod(quiver tip),dropping into likely looking swims,meat,cheese and flake all good bets for chub.Would not stay put in one swim for to long.If there are any fish there,they should make their presence felt quite quickly.

If its the navigation then its a different kettle of fish.almost certainly have plenty of boat activity.Always found it fished better in the winter,certainly for chub.a fair few in there(or there used to be),but nothing of any great size.

yeah i normally fish on the navigation, i might take a look further downstream this time though, thanks for the tips i'll leave the bivvy at home then lol

Connor.

yeah i normally fish on the navigation, i might take a look further downstream this time though, thanks for the tips i'll leave the bivvy at home then lol

Fishy,

There is a stretch of river-Burpham court Farm(day tickets) that used to belong to my old club.Assuming foot and mouth restrictions are not in place any longer,it might be worth a look.Its off of Clay Lane,heading towards Jacobs Well.

Cracking bit of river,used to get plenty of chub out of there,roaming.Nice weir pool as well at the top end.Only trouble now is,you may share the bank with Llama's :lol: :lol: :headhurt: .Used to get the odd report of occasional barbel,some nice pike through there as well.

Fishy,

There is a stretch of river-Burpham court Farm(day tickets) that used to belong to my old club.Assuming foot and mouth restrictions are not in place any longer,it might be worth a look.Its off of Clay Lane,heading towards Jacobs Well.

Cracking bit of river,used to get plenty of chub out of there,roaming.Nice weir pool as well at the top end.Only trouble now is,you may share the bank with Llama's :lol: :lol: :headhurt: .Used to get the odd report of occasional barbel,some nice pike through there as well.

good stuff! sounds like its not far upstream from where i normally fish! ive been to the tackle store again today and got some more bits n bobs to try and im taking some different baits too..... most importantly im NOT taking my loud and fidgety nephew lol so i might not scare em all away so quickly :lol:

you may share the bank with Llama's

I already take a few bite allama's with me :lol: sorry that was awful...

Edited by fishy_con

Connor.

What a beautiful day!! :thumbs:

It started out all wrong this morning, i overslept so i decided to visit the angling centre on my way, bought some more bits n bobs i was not functioning 100% as i was still half asleep and took three attempts to buy hooks twice picking up four packs of barbed by mistake lol

Anyhow, did hold out much hope as things had already gotten of to a bad start and i was going to miss the prime part of the morning!

Also as i didnt really know what i was doing, i opted against the 'travel light/keep mobile fishing tactic' and instead went with the 'lug everything i have cos you never knowand pick a swim' route. I like to think it paid off in the end, there were two guys fishing off of a canal barge that had been there overnight, i later found out they hadnt had a great deal of luck, bagging some small chub, and gudgeon. i decided to fish a couple of swims downstrem of them thinking that they would have been feeding up the swim for me! (cheeky eh?) anyhow, i was fishing with my quivertip set with a feeder rig. For bait this time i took corn, spam, flake/crust, trusty red maggots and assorted castors. The wey was very busy with boats, runners, cyclists and bleedin dog walkers (the bane of my fishing life i swear...) so again i thought this wasnt going to be very successful. I had fed the swim with all kinds of bait in the hope of attracting as many species as possible, but decided to start off with corn on the hook (a No.14 barbless) i had no joy with it tho and after a while decided to switch to spam, i had a couple of missed bites with the spam, im not sure if it was small fish having a nibble but not swallowing of debris in the water anyhow i decided to switch again to a combination of maggots and castors.

I was now getting plenty of nibbles again but not many bites and the debris from the boats really began to annoy me as it was registering false bites then disguising REAL ones resulting in a lot of misses.

I started landing some fish albeit a couple of tiny gudgeons, dace and roach, and was happy to at least be catching something! it was strange, i dont know what caused it, but all of a sudden the fish were feeding, i missed a ton of bites on the drop and kept on feeding the swim up with my slingshot between casts aiming upstream slightly and eventually got a decent bend on the rod. It turned out to be a small chub (roughly 1/1-1/2lb) but was the best thing ive caught in the last four outings! Anyhow i guess it just goes to show that fish dont always play by the rules i guess? lol

Connor.

well done, you went chubbing and sorted one! and enjoyed your self by the sound :thumbs:

Yeah i had a great day tbh :yeah: partially due to the fact i was expecting nowt, it was a warm, sunny day :sun: and i had forgotton how nice folk generally are down by the water. :)

Connor.