Other field sports

Guest J.Iddon

Thurso, Sportsman, Gozzer - you STILL don't understand that "We" have "moved on/evolved/become civilised", Go to the bottom of the class and read Rabbit's post again.

Consider what it is saying. "We" have become "civilised", which means........

No more nasty people chasing, killing, gutting, skinning, cooking and eating wild life.

Instead there are nice kind farmers rearing, killing, gutting, skinning, (and the rest of us cooking and eating) domestic animals.

Now consider what it has NOT said - "civilisation" continues to move on, and whilst "most people" in Rabbitland are no longer hunters, not many of them are farmers either.

"We" have "moved on" even from being farmers, "we" don't do all this unsavoury killing, gutting and skinning anymore. Farmers and slaughtermen do it instead. Farmers are an uncouth lot, nearly as bad as us hunters - in fact many of them go hunting, shooting and fishing in what spare time they have - just like the rest of us reprobates.

"Most peoples" food now comes not from the rivers, hills and woods, not from the fields and farmyard, but from a nice hygenic slab at the supermarket. "We" can eat with clean hands, and for the squeamish, with a clean conscience.

"We" are "moving on" still further - an increasing proportion of "most peoples" food is purchased ready cooked - no red blood in sight - and only requires un-wrapping, reheating, and eating.

Where are "we" moving to next?

To save fuel, and "save the planet" no doubt the next step is compulsory food deliveries to your doorstep (and eat what you are sent, but that's by the way)

A symptom of all this "evolution/moving on/civilisation" is the conviction that "we" are morally superior to anyone that sources their own food.

I am having venison casserole tonight, part of a fallow deer shot by one of my friends. Blackberry pie for afters - using fruits ruthlessly torn from their mother-plant in the countryside. No hope for me then.

The stark reality for most people hunting their own food to eat is not an option, we have a infrastructure that supplies food through farming and distribution to the consumer, any other way would not be feasible, so if you are lucky enough to live off the 'fat of the land' then fine, but you seem to inhabit the moral high ground and consider other folk who are not as fortunate as you to be ignorant of how food is produced. I work in the countryside, I eat fruits from the hedgerows trees etc, I even eat organic venison produced by local farmers in this area. but I or rather the wife have to shop in supermarkets or the local market for fresh locally grown Vale of Evesham veg. Much the same I guess as the majority of ordinary folk

if you can think of a more practical solution to feed the masses then please I would love to hear it??

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stark reality for most people hunting their own food to eat is not an option, we have a infrastructure that supplies food through farming and distribution to the consumer, any other way would not be feasible, so if you are lucky enough to live off the 'fat of the land' then fine, but you seem to inhabit the moral high ground and consider other folk who are not as fortunate as you to be ignorant of how food is produced. I work in the countryside, I eat fruits from the hedgerows trees etc, I even eat organic venison produced by local farmers in this area. but I or rather the wife have to shop in supermarkets or the local market for fresh locally grown Vale of Evesham veg. Much the same I guess as the majority of ordinary folk

if you can think of a more practical solution to feed the masses then please I would love to hear it??

Buy a lurcher and a spotlamp, wait until its dark and walk through a field :thumbs::yeah:;):P

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Your not considering what I am saying, but somehow as always you seem to be abusive. You may put yourself in with the hunting lot, but I am willing to bet the majority of anglers do not have any sympathy with their fight to keep shooting or hunting with dogs or whatever legal. I will say again that many anglers view angling as purely recreational so why on earth would they want to have a liability of an ally with the hunting set? i am not a anti anything no not even hunting.

I wouldn't do it, and I don't approve of it but don't try and diminish my point of view with comment such as ''your sort'' and me being 'worse' than antis. Keep it clean and live up to your name and start playing with a straight bat for once.

Quote Rabbit

These people are then supported by Sportsman and the like by telling all and sundry that angling is no better in that by the action of fishing that I am no better because I torture fish by catching and releasing.

Can I remind Sportsman and the like that this is a Angling Forum and to compare angling with such activities as Hunting With Dogs as to its justifiable merits is not at all as a great deal of anglers see OUR sport Angling. hunting with dogs has been banned with the exceptions that we see portrayed in that post.

So "Sportsman and the like" is acceptable if you say it but "your sort" is abusive if I say it?

I think that "your sort" is the worst kind of anti.

To hunt, catch, cause stress to, potentially injure and risk the death of, a fish, just to release it so you can do it all again, is perfectly acceptable in your eyes, because YOU want to do it and YOU get enjoyment out of it.

But you tell us we shouldn't hunt or shoot, - why, because YOU don't want to do it.

You deny that fishing is a field sport because it makes you feel better about doing it, and you claim to speak for the majority of anglers, with no authority whatever.

In addition, this section of the fishing forum is set aside for non-fishing subjects.

I will stop posting on here if asked to by Elton or one of the Mods - nothing to do with you.

BTW, the sportsman in my name refers to the proper definition of "Sport" which is hunting with hounds, hawks, shooting and fishing.

Cricket is not a sport, it is a game.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

To hunt, catch, cause stress to, potentially injure and risk the death of, a fish, just to release it so you can do it all again, is perfectly acceptable in your eyes, because YOU want to do it and YOU get enjoyment out of it.

But you tell us we shouldn't hunt or shoot, - why, because YOU don't want to do it.

This is not the first time you have posted such remarks, c'mon SPORTSMAN what is your true agenda

and yes this is Anglers Net Forum....not a forum for your anti fishing tirades

Would you consider shooting in the foot yourself a sport? If it was you would be the world champion

No agenda, just anti-hypocrisy.

As for anti-fishing, i was using it as an example to demonstrate to you your hypocrisy. I thought that you were intelligent enough to understand that.

We all make mistakes <_<

Personally I don't care if you bite the heads off baby pandas for fun, but when a young 17 year old goes to the trouble to write on here about something that he loves to do, in the hope that he can converse with like minded people, he doesn't need you to tell him that what he enjoys is wrong and that when he gets old and wise like you he will realise the error of his ways.

You indulge in field sports because you enjoy it. Be honest enough to admit it.

I indulge in the same field sport as you, and several more. I do it because I enjoy it, and I don't mind admitting it.

No agenda, just anti-hypocrisy.

As for anti-fishing, i was using it as an example to demonstrate to you your hypocrisy. I thought that you were intelligent enough to understand that.

We all make mistakes <_<

Personally I don't care if you bite the heads off baby pandas for fun, but when a young 17 year old goes to the trouble to write on here about something that he loves to do, in the hope that he can converse with like minded people, he doesn't need you to tell him that what he enjoys is wrong and that when he gets old and wise like you he will realise the error of his ways.

You indulge in field sports because you enjoy it. Be honest enough to admit it.

I indulge in the same field sport as you, and several more. I do it because I enjoy it, and I don't mind admitting it.

READ MY POST NUMBER 50

looking forward to a reply <_<

Fair enough, I reckon what you do with your ferrets and dog is a damn site better than some of the others of your age. I used to work for the Ministry of Agriculture when I was 17, and graded slaughtered pigs. I am not oblivious to the fact that animals have to die to feed us. however I suppose I do sound like a hypocrite in that I do eat meat, but not the meat of wild life but farmed animals. farming is sustainable wild life by and large is not, apart from maybe rabbits.

Most of us when we age find it better to watch and observe the wild life as opposed to catching and killing, it is a mind set that comes with age.

But please if you enjoy what you do then that's great, like I said far better than some other things you could be doing :thumbs:

Just in case you couldn't find it Sportsman

Whilst it is true only a few can live of the fat of the land it is a very real way of learning about where your food comes from, that also applies to farmers.

Unfortunately far to many people don't know or want to know where their last fast food meal came from or the processes it went through to reach their stomachs.

If the current infrastructure breaks down to be honest they will be well and truely screwed, they couldn't even grow veg.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Whilst it is true only a few can live of the fat of the land it is a very real way of learning about where your food comes from, that also applies to farmers.

Unfortunately far to many people don't know or want to know where their last fast food meal came from or the processes it went through to reach their stomachs.

If the current infrastructure breaks down to be honest they will be well and truely screwed, they couldn't even grow veg.

Agreed, need to teach subjects like Rural Science at school like wot I did, learnt how to handle a spade at 11 very handy. :thumbs: To be honest never been a one to find growing veg exciting but Mrs Rabbit likes her veg patch :o

READ MY POST NUMBER 50

looking forward to a reply <_<

yes, I found this whilst I was looking

Quote Rabbit

With maturity come s a greater appreciation of the need not to kill. You are 17 Den is not I am not. Den gave a very moving and honest account regarding the dying fox cub. To me that was very moving and really says everything you need to know about how we should all act towards other creatures. but you may have to wait a few years.

Seems you can change your mind when you see which way the wind is blowing <_<

Of course, in your case, fish aren't other creatures are they?

Like I said, anti-hypocrisy