dorado durability

lozz

Hi all am thinking about getting a dorado but am worried about durability. I have a prowler big game and use a sea tug and there are quite a few scratches on the bottom no probs being plastic but with the gel coat finish on the dorado would this be a problem .The big game is just to slow and cumbersome i need a new yak any other suggestions gratefully received.

Durability was a main reservation I had when buying a Dorado. Has not been used much as its quite new but its holding up well. Simon Everetts had his for a couple of years now and his hull is still in good condition. I do take more care with this kayak - I minimise dragging the kayak and so far have not felt restricted where I paddle. I tend to wheel my kayak to the waters edge or lift it where appropriate. Plastic scratches easier than fibreglass as its softer but it will take a heavier impact before structural damage as its more flexible. Scratches on the hull on a fibreglass yak can be polished out or filled - lots of tutorials on the net about gel coat repair for kayaks. Many chandlers sell gel coat repair kits which can make things even easier. Looked after a fibreglass kayak should last a very long time. Mines given a quick wipe with 303 protectant after each trip which acts as sunscreen for the paintwork and helps keep her clean and shiny.

Recommend a test paddle before purchasing/ordering. Coming from the Big Game the Dorado is at the opposite end of the spectrum. It has good speed and efficiency and will help you make progress against strong wind, tide and large swell.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

thanks for info big game is my first fishing yak and was talked out of prowler by dealer cant really fault bg does what it should but to slow and can be very wet ride in short chop usually do 5-6 miles and always have to play catch up

Hi Lozz,

Alternatives to try in addition to the Dorado if I were in your boat would include The New Prowler 15 Trident and Scupper Pro (Tankwell) and the Prowler 13 definately merits a test too. Other than Ocean Kayaks there are the Tarpon 140 and 160 and Perception Freedom. You will find all of these yaks to be a good deal more sprightly than your Big Game and I suspect that they will all feel a bit like sports cars in comparison.

Try em!

All the best

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Hi Boomphat,

I think that they have discontinued the Scupper in the US but that it is still available elsewhere but I could be wrong. Bournemouth Canoes etc are still advertising it on their website. Or are we in possession of collectors items!!?

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

you can still get scupper pros, just

but they do fill with water if you weigh a bit

I weigh 13 1/2 stone and it was full :(

bit dissapointed as I was going to get one

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

HI Lozz , Hows the fishing off your neck of the woods, me and Pete wanna get back down there this Autumn give yhat reef ago. I had a go in Phooeys Dorado at Mudeford, go like 5hi* of a shovel,it cut through the water , even the ebbing tide at the quay like a knife through butter. I think the main difference you'll notice is the seating position , the BG is quite high, wher'as the dorado seems to envelupe you if you get my drift , it felt very stable to me and I think having a 50lb + conger on yer lap justifies that, that paddle we did from Samphire Hoe, you'd have done it twice , by the time me and Pete made it back too the Warren, I think you'd have to be careful on the stones of the like, but Phooey, GB, and Simon don't seem to have a problem, keep an eye on this forum mate cos there's gonna be a few meets , maybe you can get down to one and have a go soon. See you soon hopefully.

you can still get scupper pros, just

but they do fill with water if you weigh a bit

I weigh 13 1/2 stone and it was full :(

bit dissapointed as I was going to get one

Hi Stu,

I am currently a similar weight and have not found it to be a problem; they are a wet ride and you do get a puddle around your arse much of the time but that is because you sit lower in the water on the Scupper and that is where you get the better secondary stability from. I do not think that it is your weight that is the issue, that is just the nature of the design. Don't get too dissappointed and write her off just yet, have a word with a few others and I am sure that you will find that nothing is amiss. The Dorado has a wet ride too so the Scupper is in good company in that regard.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

The 2007 Dorado have venturi scuppers and the side cut outs on the gunwale are no longer there which makes for a dry ride. The only time I've taken much water into the cockpit is when launching and taking a wave over the bow but this can happen on any model.

If you find the Scupper a wetride either wear dry gear or plug the seat scuppers sponging the excess water out when needed.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow