Higher End Tackle

Elton

Posted on behalf of Gary. Please add all replies to this thread:

hi

i am in the proccess of updating my 20 year old fly rod and reel. as my tackle as you can see last

me quite some time,i was looking at the high end of the market.[sage,g loomis etc]i was just wondering if anybody in the forum has used any of the above tackle.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yes I have And if its a name you are after thats fine they are lovley but Greys and Beulah do comparable rods as do Hardy that are a touch more robust

Teamed with a Vossler reel or a Hardy you will have twenty years worth of Tackle,Loomis do super fast blanks and very light and are a buetifull thing to own But they are fragile! If I had the money to spend I would still stick to the three makes I mentioned.

I suppose Im a bit Jealous ;) But what did you have before that lasted so well thats where to look for your awnswer.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I fish a Sage XP 9'3" 5#. It's a lovely rod. I did ding it once with a heavy bead-head (not very clever) and later, while hauling a good length of Airflo Intermediate, the section broke - other cheaper rods I use have proved more durable. Importantly however, Sage are very good for their guarantee - I got my replacement section for free, shipped and delivered in one week! When I broke another mid range brand rod, it took a month or more to get my new section and it cost me 20 or 30 quid.

These days my inclination is to buy cheap-and-cheerful or buy top notch.

My experience with reels has been the similar...

I fish a Sage XP 9'3" 5#. It's a lovely rod. I did ding it once with a heavy bead-head (not very clever) and later, while hauling a good length of Airflo Intermediate, the section broke - other cheaper rods I use have proved more durable. Importantly however, Sage are very good for their guarantee - I got my replacement section for free, shipped and delivered in one week! When I broke another mid range brand rod, it took a month or more to get my new section and it cost me 20 or 30 quid.

These days my inclination is to buy cheap-and-cheerful or buy top notch.

My experience with reels has been the similar...

If you have money go for G LOOMIS....these are the best rods I have used..fished with all the big brands and got them..I fish locally with a 9ft GL2 and it will out cast the the other brands...this a very light rod..got a GLX 3 9ft 8" thats alot heavier than the GL2...its hard work for the weight of rod..hope this helps

I've had a couple of Beulah's on test for about 3 months now the quality is excellent, their guide series comes with a spare top section should you have an accident you can carry on fishing, for Salty work in strong winds the Bluewater series work well, even if your casting isn't upto it you'll throw a good line, the only down side the 8/9 is very stiff and can take it's toll on your shoulder if used all day. I have since bought a 4 weight which is beautiful.

My own Saltwater rod is a LOOMIS an outstanding rod.

If your prone to accidents look at the Orvis Zero Gravity, loved them all apart from the 9wt (thought the TLS was better) the warranty is second to none and a fast service to boot, no questions asked, all dealt with in the UK.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Gary,

I use a Grey's GRXi 10ft 7/8.

This rod is imho one of the best on the market at around £100.

My fishing partner has a top end rod which cost over £500, nice rod, but I can cast my £100 rod the same distance.

Its all down to personal choice I suppose,what feels right in your hand.

I live quite close to Haywards Farm where Sportfish have a tackle shop, they are really good and will let you try different rods on their lake which is always the best way to find a rod that suits you.

Hope this helps.

Ron.

Hi Gary,

I use a Grey's GRXi 10ft 7/8.

This rod is imho one of the best on the market at around £100.

My fishing partner has a top end rod which cost over £500, nice rod, but I can cast my £100 rod the same distance.

Its all down to personal choice I suppose,what feels right in your hand.

I live quite close to Haywards Farm where Sportfish have a tackle shop, they are really good and will let you try different rods on their lake which is always the best way to find a rod that suits you.

Hope this helps.

Ron.

Its a different make, but my everyday workhorse is a 10'6", 8 weight, Enigma 'sea trout special' ~ its about ten years old now, taken many large rainbows, seatrout, grilse. and salmon, and a few Bass too. Whether you want to bully the fish to put them back, or play them, this rod does all the work. Its a fabulous casting rod, with ease I put the full line out, thats without all these fancy shooting heads, etc, etc,. Have a really good look/try on all the Enigma range.

Just in case someone gets on the wrong track: Can I suggest the capacity to cast greater distances may not be a good 'yardstick' to judge a rod. A quality rod wont deliver this on its own - the rod only holds potential - distance, like accuracy, comes down to casting technique. While a very poor rod might hinder your cast, a quality one wont necessarily improve it. I waited over twenty years before I felt I could feel the difference between an average rod and a top quality one, twenty years and a number of casting lessons. Yep, I said it, "casting lessons." Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks :)

I wonder if the rod that Gary is looking for is for river fishing? The Sage SLT is a very nice rod for a relaxed approach - an 8.5ft 4 or 5 weight makes a nice all-rounder - buy something lighter for small fish. Scott make some interesting rods. I wonder if you've considered cane? There are some lovely small bamboo rods for river fishing.

I Normally fish with a Greys GRXi but tried a 9ft G Loomis 7/8 with a matching w/f Michael Evans Line today...........Oh my God!!!!!!! simply awsome....just so smooth and effortless.....G Loomis for me too.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)