spinning for chub

butiaboy

I want to target the chub and perch on my local canal using lure's what are the best pattens to use i have found these are they good?

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/info_2020.html

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/info_2021.html

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

Both lures are way to big.

Stick with spinners and small diving plugs for the perch.

To be honest, you'll be doing well to fluke a few chub on a cut. They're generally not that aggressive in slow moving water. The place to target them specifically would be a nice shallow fast moving river.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

you can get the roach

2" - £3.99 per pack

you can get the perch one's

2" - 10g - £3.99 pack

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

Ah. Mine are 6" and just a bit heavier than 10g !

I might be trying something similar in the winter when I pull out my side planer and troll the cut for perch and pike. I usually tow a spinner but I was thinking of giving the plastics a go this year.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Have a look Here to get some ideas and maybe even to get some lures.

Click on a few of the items to get an idea. The photo shows one but the price will often be for a pack of 10-20.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

When I first started out lure-fishing, I was after pike on the Medway, where previously chub had been a challenge legering and float fishing.

But to lures I kept getting nuisance chub.

So, I swapped to a large spinner-bait to avoid them.

And caught even more!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

How about trying an Ondex in a really small size

I've have chub recently take a big S plug which I thought was a bit ambitious considering the fish wasn't that big.

An Ondex is a great all-rounder and works for chub, perch and pike. Mid to large sizes will aid in casting distance and by no means put off 'smaller' fish. The Ondex fishes nice and slow. Tom Saville's sell spinner making kits as does Steve Parton. I like to make my own with a single hook dressed with an orange feather.

Plugs, spinnerbaits, softbaits (rubber worms, grubs, tubes etc.) will all work on their day. I should say I've caught very few perch on plugs - though the plugs I fish are 'pike' sized.

Good luck.