fat cats

spanner

Guest stevie cop

The fact that everyone is looking at better ways to manage the commercial fishing industry proves that it's the fishing industry that's caused most of the problems. Doesn't it?

"There isn't a problem", the fishing industry says. O.K then, what has happened to the British fishing fleet? I thought it was getting smaller? Where have all the big fish gone? I know there's still a one or two around, but not in the numbers that there should be. Not in the numbers that they NEED to be.

And if it IS climate change that is totally responsible, we can't do much about that and the British fleet will continue to get smaller until it disappears up it's own arse. No amount of fisheries management will change the climate.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From The Shetland Times:

http://www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/stonline/index.asp

From The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly...1591457,00.html

TL - leon

[ 30. April 2005, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Every generation of anglers has its own perspectives - eg. someone who has been sea fishing for, say 10 years, will not have direct experience of what it was like before that. Anyone, who has been sea fishing for 40 years or more (as I have) knows for an irrefutable fact that the fishing for sizeable bass (say, 5lb plus) and cod has declined drastically.

We may argue about why this has happened (though, frankly, I think there's little doubt that over-fishing has been responsible) but the empirical evidence as to the extent of the decline is undeniable.

Copied this bit:

Mr Duncan has twice been fined in Lerwick Sheriff Court in recent years for illegal fishing. In 1998 he landed a £5000 fine after being caught on camera from the air, fishing where the boat had no quota. The following year he was back to incur a £3500 penalty after again being caught by the spotter plane. That time his net was seen in the water and after trial he was found guilty of illegal fishing rather than, as he claimed, simply cleaning the net.

Like fining a premiership footballer 50p

Bob

Guest jay_con

Time for severe fines or even imprisonment I believe.

I heared a story locally that a skipper was imprisoned for entering Norwegian waters and not complying fully with thier laws. Im not sure of the exact details but im sure big cod may know more.

I bet he never did it again.

I wonder if Wurzel is looking for a new boat

For Sale

"The vessel, bigger than a football field and credited with killing more fish than any other boat in the world, is for sale after being refused entry into Australia last year because of concerns about its potential impact on fish stocks"

Isn't Sam looking for something different?

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

They face unlimited fines and the loss of their licences but will not be sentenced until after efforts by the Crown to recover £3.4m plus interest under the Proceeds of Crime Act

I am pleased to see the above, this will certainly deter the greedy mob.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest jay_con

Seems to want to send out a message that there is no Black Fish problem amongst the white fish fleet. Obviously they arent looking.