Pike Venues

Deedbait

Hi All,

I'm considering a weeks break in the west of scotland in October in search of big pike, however recent trips to Ken etc have proven disapointing as only fish to 10lb have been taken. I'm fishing alone so don't worry about hoards of rods on a favorite marks if given.

I have fished the boat house on the east side and various places on the woodhall side of Ken, however nothing to write home about taken...............any better marks?

The goal for this year is a 20lb+ fish as the big pike is one which still eludes me (18lb is the nearest)

Feel free to send PM if required

Thanks

Hi deedbait and welcome to AnglersNet.

You won't be able to send or receive PMs until you have made your 16th post and become a full member.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Deedbait, welcome to AN. On an open forum such as this, it has proven unwise to pass on hot spot location, especially to strangers! Not that us pikers are a secretive bunch, just that we know from past experience that such information tends to attract the 'circus'. And mention a thirty pounder and the four by fours are parked bumper to bumper, probably with Nige Williams at the front!!

Edited by Peter Waller

Surely on bigger venues it isn't such a problem though ?

You'd think that but I don't think it's true. On large natural lakes (or lochs) there tend to be very few "hotspots", maybe where the pike know they will intercept migrating shoals of baitfish due to some structural feature. These soon become common knowledge, just look for a group of boats! Contrast that with a featureless drain where they can be much harder to locate.

Hi Deedbait, welcome to AN. On an open forum such as this, it has proven unwise to pass on hot spot location, especially to strangers! Not that us pikers are a secretive bunch, just that we know from past experience that such information tends to attract the 'circus'. And mention a thirty pounder and the four by fours are parked bumper to bumper, probably with Nige Williams at the front!!

...with a vanfull of carp

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

You'd think that but I don't think it's true. On large natural lakes (or lochs) there tend to be very few "hotspots", maybe where the pike know they will intercept migrating shoals of baitfish due to some structural feature. These soon become common knowledge, just look for a group of boats! Contrast that with a featureless drain where they can be much harder to locate.

I see your point

I suppose when you add boats into the equation then there's not much water that can't be covered/fished.

if anyone else fishes the glacial lakes we have in britain im sure you have horror stories of bad practice on these places from litter drunks bad handling poor kit etc.

I know i have

The funny thing is its usually (now i dont want anyone to take offence at this) the very bottom end of the scale carp anglers (im not singling out carpers here it may seem like that but the majority do care about fish welfare moreso than many other branches of the sport)

Anyway those who fish these places should know what im on about

Coniston in particular has been turned into a sh**hole through these types using trees as bins for stella cans and firewood and guess what coniston used to be a fairly nice water untill a large fish was reported several years ago

on the plus/minus side these anglers seem incapable of venturing far from the car parks so the crap is fairly well confined but how many non anglers veiw pikers as louts through this