Multiplier question - lever drag vs. star drag

Newt

Newt.

Lever drags can be pre-set. These settings are true up to a stop button at the top of the levers drag settings. However, if this button is depressed, the lever can be pushed forward into a full lock position? Not advisable. That`s why the buttons there!

That`s why lever drags have become so popular. They can be pre-set to a certain pull. Changing the drag whilst fighting a fish can be achieved by simply moving the lever to and fro. Not having to guess how many turns to give the star drag.

But having said that. Guess what I`m using?

A penn senator with star drag.

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hiya, I know better than most about not putting the lever past the stop button eh! Paul. Fishing in about 500feet of water, something grabbed my bait and about a pound or more of lead, the line was streaming off, I panicked and pushed the lever drag past the button, a recipe for an instant snap off, it was reckoned to be a very good Hake. I won't make that mistake again in a hurry.

Norrie

[ 29. January 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Jim. But I`ll bet your reel has style?

As for Norrie!!! We were fishing in 650ft of water (where I caught my black-mouth doggie)using chunks of mackeral for bait. Norrie didn`t have a bite. He had a TAKE!! Line went screaming off the reel. Suddenly I heard choice words coming from Norrie. The *&%%%3g %8""+^$ b&%$ t&%$£ F&%*"

line!!! Even sturdy braid won`t stop some fish if the reel is locked. That push button at the top of the reel is mean`t to signify "stop here until the fish is played out"! Well, at least I`m witness to Norrie getting snapped by a good fish?

But at least it saved you pulling your gear up 650ft for a bait check Norrie.

:D:D Paul :D:D

PS. We have a jig-saw.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Well, I think I'm going to be ordering the Okuma Titut 15L reels for my 4 main rods. Found that one of my usual mail-order suppliers has them in the latest catalog at $91 each (£50). Not sure how he can sell for that price but I certainly won't argue. Thats when compared to the C4-7000 lever drag Abu Garcia has at $125 and at least $150 for any others.

I can now get rid of all the baitrunner style eggbeater reels I have. Only ever used them for rivers when the current was too swift and a baitcaster's clicker wouldn't hold or when trolling for the same reason. Yippee. Less tackle.

While I was looking around at the site I ran across a combo (rod & reel) that might be of interest to anyone wanting to start with baitcasters for not much money of for any of you who have boats and friends who don't fish often (so you don't want them to use your good gear).

$40 (£22) for a 7ft Okuma rod made with e-glass core and graphite outer layer. Listed as a 'fast action' rod which, in US speak, means most of the bend will be in the outer 1/3 of the rod with a fairly stiff backbone on the remainder. Also listed as Medium (as opposed to medium-heavy or heavy) so fine for moderate size fish to probably 30-40 lbs. Comes with an Okuma Classic Pro 302 reel; 2bb level wind star drag. That version is right-hand wind but since they have the left-hand wind in stock, you could probably get a substitution without much problem.

www.catfishconnection.com if you are interested and the combo is OKBDC7 stock number.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

With regards to Star drag versus Leverdrag systems it's a touchy subject really ... for instance you can have a star drag model that is better than its opposite number made by another manufacturer which is a Leverdrag reel ... so basically I’m saying its not clear cut by a mile.

So most opinions must be taken as general!

Most S/D " Star drag " reels usually cast better than Leverdrag, and most L/D "Leverdrag" reels have a more powerful clutch set up than their opposite number, again only generally speaking.

I personally evaluate the possible fish I'm most likely to catch with the reel I set out to fishing with, and decide that way on which reel I will use on the day.

A Leverdrag that has a quick spool release mechanism is a distinct advantage, there by not having to reset after each cast, for example the Abu 7000 L/D needs resetting as do most L/D reels, but an Abu 6600 Leverdrag needs only for you to use the thumb bar spool release mechanism, in my opinion a big advantage.

Most Leverdrag reels have single plate clutches, Stardrag tend to use multi plate system, as a rule!

Leverdrag reels in general! ... tend not to be so good at stripping down quickly should you need to, say on a boat, then again the odd one or two are ok

It’s the same old adage, money tends to get you a better reel and with it a better clutch system.

For beach fishing, say after large quarry, its really a bit of a dilemma, you need a reel that will cast a decent distance, but again you want a powerful smooth clutch system, some tend to go for the Penn 555 sized reel, and most have no complaints about it performance.

In a nutshell I’d probably say the Star Drag system is more versatile with regards to usage, this again depending on the size of reel and usage, and the Leverdrag is more powerful and smoother to use and a more pleasurable system to operate when playing a large fish, in most instances.

This said a poor example of either can turn this upon its head.

Myself I use both, and enjoy the use of both types, its horses for courses and experience gained is invaluable, for instance the Abu Morrum Star drag is extremely smooth and forgiving to use, but for the cash the Policanky is a bargain likewise, totally different reels and impossible to compare realistically, but that’s basically what I’m getting at!

Seahog - thank you for the information. Some things I for sure didn't know already.

I think for shore sessions on still waters I'll stick with the star drag reels I have now. The main times I wanted the lever drag features were two:

- for trolling where freespool with clicker on won't hold and I don't want to lock down or have to spend lots of time messing with drag settings with a fish on.

- for still fishing when the current is too swift for freespool & clicker to hold.

Not at all likely to tie into any fish larger than maybe 50-60 lbs and fresh water fish (most of my fishing) just don't fight like the sea critters.

Right now I'm having to use eggbeater reels with a baitrunner feature I can adjust. Yuck.

I rarely need to cast distances anyway so that isn't as much of an issue as it could be. If I need to be out 150-200 yards, I motor out, drop the rig, and head back to shore. :D

Any opinion on the Okuma Titus LD reels?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt .... Basically I can only talk about Okuma reels in general, they appear to be very good reels, good value and reliability too match. As with many Far Eastern business they tend too like to cover the whole spectrum of a range, making sure that they enter with a very low priced product, then moving upwards as time goes by.

The lower end of their range I personally would avoid, but their upper range, I would certainly be interested in, and the reel you are suggesting you might be interested in, falls into the upper bracket!

Okumas have no better or worse corrosion problems than say Abu, Daiwa or Shimano, I’d suggest Penn probably have the edge on the others with regards to fending off the dreaded corrosion problem. I might be wrong here Newt, but I think you mainly use your gear in Fresh water? … if so, that also goes someway in preserving your reel in the first place.

Yes I would quite happily purchase with confidence an Okuma Titus LD reel, somewhere I have a revue on this reel, but just where I not sure, if I can dig it out I will scan and send you it, that said I don’t go a bundle on mags giving reviews on tackle such as reel in particular, mainly because a true reflection needs to have a long period of usage and a totally unbiased approach from the start, which unfortunately some mags reel analysts don’t do, possible because they are not totally independent, not all but in many cases it’s a sad fact they don’t.

Your average Joe that uses a reel could give more accurate information than most magazine can and do, this in my opinion makes the forums so valuable for all to read and consider, with basically what is said with regards to tackle in general.

Yep Newt I’d buy with confidence, the day I buy a reel and I catch a fish so big it smashes the reel to bits is a day I will not complain about, as long as it died on it shield I’d not moan.

Seahog - thanks again. And yes, I do mostly fresh water fishing these days. Plenty of it close to me and where I live now, the sea isn't. So corrosion isn't a major issue. I post some questions to the sea section since in the UK, your rigs, water, needs, etc. are closer to mine than the coarse conditions would be. Boats, large water, etc.

I'm old enough now I like my comforts and my boat is rigged that way. Does fine on most of the local lakes and rivers although I am getting a larger one later in the Spring. More stable and I've been out a couple of times when there was more water than I had boat. Yuck.

But there is no way I'd use the boat in the Atlantic since I plan to get even older. My salt water outings these days are either from pier/shore or in a charter boat.

I do keep track of conditions though and try to make a quick trip to the coast when the blues are active in fall and spring. Those beasties are totally insane and if you catch it right, it's fish a chuck until your arms are too tired to fish any longer. Even then I go for comfort and since you can drive the beach as long as the vehicle has license tags I rent a 4WD pickup truck and drive along to locate where they are feeding.

Beach & pier sessions though I'll probably continue to use my Abu Garcia 7000 C3 reels.

Best fishing but over 7 hours drive

Posted Image

OK fishing and only about 4.5 hours drive

Posted Image