Fishing Kielder Dam

Peter De Clercq

Hi

I am going on a short holiday to Kielder dam in a few weeks and would like to do some fishing whilst there.

Is there anybody who has fished there that can give me some advice.

What are the main species and what methods work best.

Any advice is welcome as I am not used to fishing this type of venue.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Fly only for Brown and Rainbow Trout as far as I am aware, with traditional patterns working best, the season ends in October as well.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks tony but I have never fly fished, how about Pike? I would have thought they would be present in a water like Kielder.

Pete

This from their web site Peter, no mention of pike fishing.

KIELDER WATER FISHING (Fishing)

Kielder Water is Europe's largest man-made lake with a 23 mile shoreline. Bank and boat fishing (fly and worm).

There are three fishing lodges at the reservoir: Beside the dam (south bank); at Leaplish Waterside Park; and at Bakethin Weir.

Two wheely boats are available for wheelchair users (pre-booking essential). The Jack Charlton Cup, a disabled anglers competition, is held on Wednesday 9th June 2004. Contact John Redfern on 0121 429 6107 or email john.redfearn@blueyonder.co.uk for details.

Largest man-made lake in Europe, 27 miles of shoreline. Fishing season 19 March-31 October for brown & rainbow trout(fly/bait). Permits available from fishing lodges at south end of dam and Leaplish. Motor boats for hire £22.50/day (£18.50 in Mar, Apr & Oct). See Derwent Reservoir for season permit details. 2 Juniors under 17 yrs. may fish free if accompanied by an adult, catch is shared limit, per boat minimum of 2 persons per boat, pre booked only) from Leaplish Visitor Centre (2005).

Tel: +44 (0)1434 250312.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Peter,

Kielder can be a daunting place if your unsure of which areas to fish, therefore your best bet may be a boat which can be hired on site as this will allow you explore and also get out of the wind if need be and belive me it can get a tad wild up there!

The area to the left of the dam wall as your looking up the water is popular with the worm anglers from the bank, hopwever there are countless bays to try. Get a map from the leaplish visitor centre as this will give you an idea of the layout of the water. Plachets burn (I think thats how you spell it, but could be wrong)is a decent area for brownies from the bank and worth a try for starters.

Not sure what your after species wise, however there is some great salmon fishing to be had directly below the dam on the north tyne, which has given me some execellent sport during October. day tickets can be obtained from the Black Cock in in Falstone village at reasonable prices.