Starting up Carp Fishing

sandra1234

Hi to all

I have been on a few of my local lakes and fisherys with a couple of my mates who do a lot of carp fishing, and i have caught the bug ( i did do match fishing ) The problem i have is that my mates are so secretive about any of ther kit that they wont let me know any do's and dont's. So this is where i turn to you fellow carpers can any body advise me on what sort of rods, reels, line tackle and setups which would be best for me and the best web sites to check out. But i am on a slight budget though.

The Lakes and local fisherys i have been to mainly consist of carp between 5lb to 15ld but some mid 20's have been comeing out on a regular matches also most of them have a clay base and are between 4 to 6 feet deep .

If some body can help me i would be very thank full

What type of budget you working with for the rods and reels then everyone can tell ya which rods our best in that price range. Also are you thinking of getting a 2 or 3 rod setup?

Rods Reels-

If your lookin for somethin cheap and cheerfull then you may wanna look at some leeda i think they cost me £90 for the set. I bought 3 Leeda 2xl carp rods and reels. I didnt hve a big budget so i picked these up and ive had them for 2 years now and used them on quite a few night sessions. There still in perfect condition, ive had not a single bit of trouble with them.

Line-

I put a topic on here a while back and alot of people recommended Daiwa Sensor line, I bought the brown coloured one as some people dint care much for the clear version. Ive spooled my reels up with the 15Lb and 8lb line, ive had no trouble with it. I also use it when match fishing now because how good it is, found it cuts through weed and pads easy so i dont loose as many fish anymore.

Ill let the others give ya help on line tackle and setups, i started 2 years ago and still havent really grasped the rig setups and bait presentation bits.

I recommend watchin the Korda series, most ive learned on rig setups, methods and baits etc. is off there videos. Ive watched the seven parts three times and still cant remember half the setups used. Well theres some info for ya till the pros come on to share there knowledge :P

84854438.png

A couple of simple setups that will catch carp anywhere....

3inch popup with 5 or 6 bait stringer,hooklength about 7 or 8 inches.

Pva bag/mesh bag with chopped up boilies, and same hookbait as above.

Method mix (soaked halibut pellet) with a 3/4inch hooklength and side hooked plastic corn will be my setup for the next few months. I will experiment with other setups on the third rod.............

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

What type of budget you working with for the rods and reels then everyone can tell ya which rods our best in that price range. Also are you thinking of getting a 2 or 3 rod setup?

Rods Reels-

If your lookin for somethin cheap and cheerfull then you may wanna look at some leeda i think they cost me £90 for the set. I bought 3 Leeda 2xl carp rods and reels. I didnt hve a big budget so i picked these up and ive had them for 2 years now and used them on quite a few night sessions. There still in perfect condition, ive had not a single bit of trouble with them.

Line-

I put a topic on here a while back and alot of people recommended Daiwa Sensor line, I bought the brown coloured one as some people dint care much for the clear version. Ive spooled my reels up with the 15Lb and 8lb line, ive had no trouble with it. I also use it when match fishing now because how good it is, found it cuts through weed and pads easy so i dont loose as many fish anymore.

Ill let the others give ya help on line tackle and setups, i started 2 years ago and still havent really grasped the rig setups and bait presentation bits.

I recommend watchin the Korda series, most ive learned on rig setups, methods and baits etc. is off there videos. Ive watched the seven parts three times and still cant remember half the setups used. Well theres some info for ya till the pros come on to share there knowledge :P

My budget is around £150 for a two rod set up, but i will have to find extra cash for the large landing nets, (as the match one that i have at the moment has a hard job getting a 5ld carp in let alone any thing bigger) and terminal tackel that i will need, one thing that has come to my mind is that of unhooking mats should you always use one or can you get away with not using one.

My budget is around £150 for a two rod set up, but i will have to find extra cash for the large landing nets, (as the match one that i have at the moment has a hard job getting a 5ld carp in let alone any thing bigger) and terminal tackel that i will need, one thing that has come to my mind is that of unhooking mats should you always use one or can you get away with not using one.

You should always use an unhooking mat ditto for the large net. You should also buy those before you get the rods as there's no point fishing for carp that you then can't land safely and look after. You should however be able to get a full budget setup for 150 quid though.

Rob.

Although I normally say support your local tackle shop, if you buy a mag like Total Carp there are some real bargains to be had from some of the online retailers. Don't know if its allowed but I have had excellent service from Erics Angling, England Angling and Climax Tackle.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Although I normally say support your local tackle shop, if you buy a mag like Total Carp there are some real bargains to be had from some of the online retailers. Don't know if its allowed but I have had excellent service from Erics Angling, England Angling and Climax Tackle.

Hope this helps

Jamie

dont forget ebay, bought my Bivvie from there, JRC STI 1 man twin skin, only cost me £60, bloke i had it off only used it twice and didt have a single flaw.

Actually i bought most of my tackle of ebay, get some real bargains on Broppers/Hangers. Oh and rod pods.

84854438.png

I think it is rather sad that your so called friends will not help or advise you, however you can do a lot worse than take note of the reply's to your post.

One point I would stress though is that it is imperative that you learn fish handling and safety from an experienced angler. You can get away with poor rigs and mismatched tackle but you cannot get away with poor fish handling. A 15lb carp thrashing around on a small unhooking mat is a disaster waiting to happen so please, please, take time to watch how others do it and try to get some 'friends' that will give you decent advice and assistance.

Good luck.

Hi to all

I have been on a few of my local lakes and fisherys with a couple of my mates who do a lot of carp fishing, and i have caught the bug ( i did do match fishing ) The problem i have is that my mates are so secretive about any of ther kit that they wont let me know any do's and dont's. So this is where i turn to you fellow carpers can any body advise me on what sort of rods, reels, line tackle and setups which would be best for me and the best web sites to check out. But i am on a slight budget though.

The Lakes and local fisherys i have been to mainly consist of carp between 5lb to 15ld but some mid 20's have been comeing out on a regular matches also most of them have a clay base and are between 4 to 6 feet deep .

If some body can help me i would be very thank full

ok first off i would like so say hi, im gav AND MY SPELLING SUCKS im new to this site but i hope to become alot of help as time goes by and make some new friends.

I see you have £150 to spend on carp gear, first off I would like to comment on the comment about an un-hooking mat is a no1 bit of kit, I could not agree more (also something we cal klinick or bongela, this is used to rub in the fishes mouth where you remove the hook, or any sours the fish mite have), a large landing net (not because the fish is always big but its easier to land a carp, there fore is less stressful) and un-hooking mat’s are a must, one thing I would say about the rods are don’t go for anything to flash, its not the rod that catches the fish it’s the angler .

Ok hears the best advice I can offer.

Rods: pro logic do a grate rod called a DR, I would start off with a 2 1/2lb TC, no for the size of fish but because of the things you mite be casting out, pva bags, 2oz leads, meatherd feeders ECT, 2 1/2lb TC is a good starting point. RRP £30-£40

Reel’s: okckma have made many good bait runners and anyone of there range would be fine, I would load them with at least 12b line because yet again its not the size of the fish but the tackle your be casting out.

Bite Alarms: on a budget then there’s no better than fox, your pick up a fox alarm for around the £20 mark, anyone will do as they are only a lazy mans toll anyhow hehe

Anything else I could offer my advice on I would be more than happy to help, either on hear or by Email to Hughes.gavin@btinternet.com, this goes for everyone, I don’t get much time on the forums as I would like anymore due to fishing 6 days out of 7 but someone has to do it eh! Hehehehehe

All the best and tight lines

Gav

Work Is For People That Dont Know How To Fish!!