Digger Derrington

Norrie

Hiya, Anyone know anything about this chap???...

I just got hold of a load of old "Angling" mags from the 60's through to the 70's, and he wrote for that mag...some good articles, some not so good.... :D

He was seemingly a founder member of BASS...

Anyway, I just found out that he retired to Drummore, near Luce Bay !!! an area I love to visit and fish ..but then returned to his native Australia before he died...seems like he led a very interesting life !!

Found this on the net...

http://ukbass.com/2002/06/digger-derrington.html

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I just got hold of a load of old "Angling" mags from the 60's through to the 70's, and he wrote for that mag...some good articles, some not so good.... :D

Anyway, I just found out that he retired to Drummore, near Luce Bay !!! an area I love to visit and fish ..but then returned to his native Australia before he died...seems like he led a very interesting life !!

Found this on the net...

norrie.

i met him way back in 19canteen at drummore in the queens hotel, i offered to buy his seahog shortie from him when he said he was going back to aus, but he said he was getting it shipped over, thats a bit coals to newcastle is it not??

nice old dude, had a few interesting stories.....

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Found this on the net...

Hi Norrie

Digger was a good mate of mine.

He certainly had an interesting life. He was a Japenese prisoner of war and carried all the baggage that brings. Fourty years on he wouldn't entertain anything associated to Japan

He had a range of fishing rods that were supurb for their time. In fact probably the first rods i had seen that bent right through.

He retired to Ozzie when his mother in Law died and spent the last few years of his life fishing the mangrove swamps just outside his home.

He was fishing into his late eighties and died about 8 years ago

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Norrie

Digger was a good mate of mine.

He certainly had an interesting life. He was a Japenese prisoner of war and carried all the baggage that brings. Fourty years on he wouldn't entertain anything associated to Japan

He had a range of fishing rods that were supurb for their time. In fact probably the first rods i had seen that bent right through.

He retired to Ozzie when his mother in Law died and spent the last few years of his life fishing the mangrove swamps just outside his home.

He was fishing into his late eighties and died about 8 years ago

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply mate...the more I hear about Digger, the more I learn, that he WAS an interesting chap...

I had an uncle who was a prisoner of the Japanese, and a member of the Burma Star, who couldnt stand anything Japanese either....so I well understand about the "baggage"..:(

I have mibbes 50 of the mags that I was talking about, that contain articles written by him, and will go through them in more detail, and will pull out a few for you if you like...as a sort of keepsake...:)...you will have to remind me however mate, I will forget !!!

Thanks again for the reply...:)

Ian, Heres a wee pic of the man in question....:)

I have had a look through some of the mags, and will send you the ones from 1980,. they have some good info, and ideas in them, and most are very pertinent to your work with SOS and SSCAN....so will do two jobs...:):)

Check out the letters pages, some "known" anglers in there, from here, and WSF !!!! :)

Intrepid-advert3a.jpg

Edited by Norrie

Theocritis..

Les, Sooperb story mate...what a small world !!!! :)

aye, me and tony sat in his company several times before he went back home, those were the days...

one of my mates had one of the rods designed by him, but i can't remember who it was or what kind of rod it was...lol

Edited by Happy Dude

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

aye, me and tony sat in his company several times before he went back home, those were the days...

one of my mates had one of the rods designed by him, but i can't remember who it was or what kind of rod it was...lol

Les, I am truly glad I started this wee thread mate...I found this, which I think is about him...what a bloke...!!!!

He was a real hero, not one of those footballer ones.......:)

http://www.kmike.com/oz/Charlie/Derrington.htm

Theocritis..

Once met him a few years ago in a pub in Plymouth, was right next to a marina (but can't remember the name of the place), was just before he went back home to Aus. He was having a brief journey through some of his old haunts almost like a last goodbye.

Smashing bloke and a mind full of information and stories, these characters just get few and fewer.

I met Digger twice when fishing around the Mull of Galloway. A comment I remember him making was that he lost a lot of interest with fishing when his friend Ian Gillespie died.

I think we could do with a "Hall of Fame" in this country where well known anglers could recieve some sort of recognition. Digger would be a candidate. Perhaps we could start one on the web?