Pike Rod

SeaDooDavid

Hi all you Pike fishermen / women

I am well into this piking lark and would like to upgrade my "basic" pike rod to a gud un! What should I look for? Price no object as long as the FPO doesn't find out ha ha! :black_eye:

SDD~~~ :sun:

Edited by SeaDooDavid

I use John Wilson 10ft spinning rods, they're around £20 apiece. I use them for everthing. haven't bust one yet.
Bloomin hell, if they are good enough for the ol pike-meister then they will do for me! will have a browse on the web :thumbs: Thanks MarkDave :thumbs:
Bloomin hell, if they are good enough for the ol pike-meister then they will do for me! will have a browse on the web :thumbs: Thanks MarkDave :thumbs:
Do you use em for dead baiting as well or just spinning? Excuse my lack of knowledge Mark, am a newbie at this as you know :blink: CheersDave Edited by SeaDooDavid

I was using them for cod the other day. It's just a stick you know.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/john-wilson-prime-sp...7QQcmdZViewItem

that's the 8ft version - probably easier to use on the yak in some ways.

Rods I don't worry too much about. Reels are a different matter - buy cheap buy twice. Mine are all Shimano, have been for years. Fixed spool, multiplier and baitcaster types. I will shortly be getting a new pair of Shimano Charter Specials to use - the lever drag will be brilliant for trolling pike.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I was using them for cod the other day. It's just a stick you know.

True mate :thumbs:

Also a good point about reels! I have a few crap ones in the bottom of my tackle box ready for the bin! I enjoy trolling for pike as Nifty showed me! Great fun and really exciting when the reel buzzes away! Every time I see one of your pics posted, it gives me the urge to get on my local lake again and have another go, especially as I have not had one on a lure yet! Can't wait for that experience :clap2: Was talking to my mate yesterday about the broads. He has always wanted to do a broads trip like myself so something we will have to crank up!. I would have dearly loved to have attended the do you hosted it sounded like everybody really enjoyed themselves and the pics were awesome to say the least!.

Off out tomorrow on the salty stuff all being well (weather) to try for some codling / Bass (yeah right!) or whatever is lurking about! ~~ Probably just me ha ha!

All the best

Dave

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Bloomin hell, if they are good enough for the ol pike-meister then they will do for me! will have a browse on the web :thumbs: Thanks MarkDave :thumbs:Do you use em for dead baiting as well or just spinning? Excuse my lack of knowledge Mark, am a newbie at this as you know :blink: CheersDave

Hi Dave, spinning rods tend to be shorter and stiffer in the mid section than the longer softer dead bait rods, in addition most serious pike angler (that counts Mark out :D ) use mulipliers for spinning and fixed spool for dead bait as these cause less snatch at the start of a cast.

But I have recently bought a 9' 6" FOX Multispin for my kyak fishing. cast 20-60 gram although I think you should be able to cast about 80 grams no problem, for around £35. The usual quality from FOX linned rings, spigot joint, carbon blank. I fish with lures and troll large dead bait with them, long enough for control, short enough for the kayak.

I have far more expensive pike rods in my collection but I would recommend these for general purpose over any of the others, I think its one of the best value rods out there :thumbs::thumbs:

Bb

Hi Dave, spinning rods tend to be shorter and stiffer in the mid section than the longer softer dead bait rods, in addition most serious pike angler (that counts Mark out :D ) use mulipliers for spinning and fixed spool for dead bait as these cause less snatch at the start of a cast.

But I have recently bought a 9' 6" FOX Multispin for my kyak fishing. cast 20-60 gram although I think you should be able to cast about 80 grams no problem, for around £35. The usual quality from FOX linned rings, spigot joint, carbon blank. I fish with lures and troll large dead bait with them, long enough for control, short enough for the kayak.

I have far more expensive pike rods in my collection but I would recommend these for general purpose over any of the others, I think its one of the best value rods out there :thumbs::thumbs:

Bb

Cheers for the advice boys! :thumbs:

Sick of buying on line all the time so popped (40 mile round trip pop) to local tackle store and actually looked at a few. They didn't have any fox range in stock there but they had a sapphire ugly spin 8' rod which looked perfect for what I wanted. I got it and tried it out today and it seems superb :thumbs: It seems a half decent rod for 30 squids and is carbon blank and a nice feel to the action. For that price it is almost throw-away so will see how it goes. Gonna use it just for small deadbaiting and a little spinning both lake and sea as I managed to wreck my abu spin rod!!

Thanks again for the advice boys, wish I could get as much choice up here but tackle shops are few and far between up here and the post is still slow here at the mo!. Best regards

SDD~~~~ :sun: