Carping Hooks

sandra1234

Hi To All

Just been to my local tackle shop today to get some ESP size 10's hooks, when i got home i noticed that they were larger than Kanassan size 10 hooks (more like a 8's). is this the normall or do carping hook vary in the sizes compred to standard hooks

Thanks

Hello Sandra

It's pretty normal for hooks from different manufacturers to vary in size. Why, I do not know :huh:

Tight lines, John

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

There used to be a "standard" size for each hook, but the carp idiots got involved and many of them (who had never fished for anything else) didn't know about the standard and made up a figure to suit themselves :)

And if any of you can think of a better explanation, then I would like to hear it :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Hi, new Member here from "down-under"

Our rivers here in Aussie are chock-a-block full of Carp.

I have been reading up on them as my wife and I are going to use them for Sport fishing, and possibly eating ?

Are they any good to eat ?

Is there any special way to clean them if cooking them ?

What is the correct size of hook to use, and do carp bite in both daytime and nightime ?

Thanks

carp_et

carp_et@yahoo.com

Hello Sandra

It's pretty normal for hooks from different manufacturers to vary in size. Why, I do not know :huh:

Tight lines, John

Welcome to you.

OZ carp will not be as hook/rig shy as the UK ones so you can use larger bits for catching them.

If you use a hair rig (highly recommended) then probably #6 to #4 depending on the size of bait you are using will be about right.

They feed all through the night so you can certainly catch them any time of day.

Carp are not a fish I'd eagerly seek to eat but if properly prepared, they can be quite good. Clearer water will give you better tasting fish.

Some good ideas for prep and cooking can be found on This Page and some google searching will turn up quite a few more ideas.

UK anglers are almost 100% catch & release with coarse fish since they have huge numbers of anglers for the amount of water available to fish and normally only eat sea & game fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President