Betaine vs Hallibut pellets

Pipe

Any of you guys ever used Betaine or Hallibut pellets. I just need to know if one should use both or is one sufficient enough. I am reffering to the use of the pellets in PVA not in gound mix.

What is their advantages and disadvantages? Any tips on how to fish them?

Yes please!

Any of you guys ever used Betaine or Hallibut pellets. I just need to know if one should use both or is one sufficient enough. I am reffering to the use of the pellets in PVA not in gound mix.

What is their advantages and disadvantages? Any tips on how to fish them?

The only thing I'd advise is not to use fishy pellets in winter.

Ron.

hi pipe

i use halibut pellets quite alot now as it is a bit of a change from bolies.

what i would do is try putting different sized pellets of the same type in a bag with a hookbait to match one of the sizes

still following me?

for example, halibut pellets-- make a a bag with say 6 and 14mm pellets then fish a 14mm on the hook

this will make sure the fish dont catch onto your plan-if there is one 14mm and all the rest are 6mm and they get caught first time on the 14mm they probally wont take it again( all to do with the "do fish wise up" arguement)

whereas if they take a few 14mm they will think the 14mm are safe and build confidence. they will then take your hookbait more readily

another issue to do with different sized halibut pellets is the break down rates, the smaller the pellet the quicker it will break down and release a scent trail into the water attracting the fish to your broken down pva bag and hookbait.

the advantages are just that they are a bit different from the norm. i fished a water where bolies were the main bait but found that i had nothing on them. so i changed to pellet and yes i had a few fish.

the other advantage is the shape as you hear all this talk on how carp wise up to the circular shape of a whole bolie and this is why i have recently started fishing trimmed down baits, and believe me they do make a differnce!

as for disadvantages i find once you have drilled them the pellet can slide up and down the hair freely which means if the loop in your hair is too big the stop can fall off. and so does your bait.

a way of stopping this is to make sure the loop in your hair is small enough not to let the stop fall out but big enough to put a new one in after changing a bait.

or you could get a small thing called a bait sheild which is like a small plasticy/rubber circle shape and it goes between the pellet and the stop and justs prevents the bait stop falling out

the rig i would use would be a reasonalby short hooklink mabye 4/5 inches with a 2.5 ounze lead on a lead clip with tubing. as for hook size maybe an 8 with a size 14mm pellet

to be honest im not too sure about betaine as i have never really used them so hopefully some of the other guys can inform you on them

hopefully ive covered everything you wanted to know :D

cheers

in-line

I have just changed from Dynamite Halibut pellets in favour of the Bait Tech 16mm pre drilled, as the Dynamite seem to be falling apart more, lately when drilling them yourself, have heard this also from other people.

I use Betaine green groundbait and mixed pellet sizes in a half and half stick mix more these days, making sure your hook point is pulled into the ground bait end, rather then the pellet end, so as not to mask the hook point with a pellet stuck on it, works great.

Had loads of carp and 4 nice cat's on the 16mm Bait techs the other month. Tried them last week end though in another venue and they didn't do much, as I was trying for one of the 3 sturgeon in the lake, but got the middle sized sturgeon out over the week end on a single marmite flavoured chick pea I had prepared, with a lump of Edam cheese, never expected to get one on chick pea and Edam snowman, but thats fishing.