Help to newbie

AJX

I have just moved to the Swansea /Port Talbot area and need advice on what to buy for beach/mumbles front fishing

cheers

ps use to course fish on the severn but this sea fishing stuff is all so new to me

many thanks :)

[ 05. September 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: AJX ]

Hi AJX, Welcome,

Ide suggest as a begginer to stay clear of using multipliers as a stat for reels, They are abit more complicated and require aliittle bit skill to control, If not used properly they can overwind realy easily and will cause big problems, tangles on the beach, IDe suggest to start off with a big pit fixed spool, will give maximum casting in fixed spools, Preferably with 2 spools, one spool using light 15lb line and shockleader, for clean ground, beaches over sand and on the other spool 30 04 40 lb stright through if it is snaggy ground, The fixed spool reel i use is the diawa emblem, superb reel, Im sure it will be around 50 quid plus 20 topps for a spare spool,

On to rods you will find its realy down to preferance, not many 2 people will lkike the same rods, Something in the 12-14 ft range, Make sure its not to heavy or a realy floppy rod, Ide say maybe best with something tharts quite stiff, with a soft tip,Casting between 4-6ounce About 100 quid probably a good price for an average rod to start with, But if your willing to go second hand there are plenty of great rods cheaper than this, The penn range of beachcasters are great to start off with, Hopefully some1 can help by naming models off rods that may suit,

Tight Lines

Shaun

AJX.

Hello to you. You couldn`t have picked a worst place to fish if you tried!!

The fishing is good? But you also have to contend with some heavy tides!

You`ll just need to learn up-tiding as well as beach fishing.

Don`t let me put you off. The effort will be worth it.

Forget plain leads, you`ll need grip weights to stop your bait disappearing downtide. The rest is easy. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Invest in a 6 - 8oz mould, then strip the local chapell roof? Well, that`s what the local boys do?

Joking apart. Try Paul Thomas at the WFSA site.

I`m sure the sod will give you good info? Even if he won`t give me a reference.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

AJX.

Hello to you.  You couldn`t have picked a worst place to fish if you tried!!

The fishing is good? But you also have to contend with some heavy tides!

You`ll just need to learn up-tiding as well as beach fishing.

Don`t let me put you off. The effort will be worth it.

Forget plain leads, you`ll need grip weights to stop your bait disappearing downtide. The rest is easy.   :rolleyes:      :rolleyes:  

Invest in a 6 - 8oz mould, then strip the local chapell roof? Well, that`s what the local boys do?

Joking apart. Try Paul Thomas at the WFSA site.

I`m sure the sod will give you good info? Even if he won`t give me a reference.

Paul.

bugger , I noticed the locals using weights similar to an anchor. A few seemed to be using large pebbles drilled through? were they just students from the art collage??

thanks though I'm not discouraged...honest :)

spasor:

AJX.

Like I said. Give Tommo a mail. He`s in Penarth, but he can`t help that. Even I lived there at one time!

Paul.

lol cheers guys blagging some tackle this weekend