Lovely Autumn session

Kappa

Thanks, Rich, well I will certainly get one for Xmas, specially as it seems I can use it for drop-shotting also. My immediate reaction was to get the slightly longer/heavier one, but since I see you rarely use it I guess I should get the lighter one.

As to your offer to join you for a session, that would be brilliant. Will send PM.

John

Hi John,

I got one of these (its the rod in the pictures above):
https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/RodsSpinningJerkBaitRods/Tronixpro-Rockfish-ULTRA-LIGHT.htm

and one of these:
https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/RodsSpinningJerkBaitRods/Tronixpro-Rockfish-LIGHT.htm

I think Andrew got one of these:
http://www.gerryslurefishingtackle.co.uk/shakespeare-6ft-9-agility-lrf-057gm.ir

For me with the really small and light lures a very light rod is essential. You just wouldn't see the bites with a more normal lure rod. Andrew will confrim that, I think its fair to say changing rods has made a big difference to his catch rate!

If you want to have a go let me know I would happily show you somewhere near us both that should find a few fish (where the perch above came from)!

Rich

john clarke

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm thoroughly convinced. Had a great afternoon with Rich today on the Thames, with about 10 perch to 1.5 pounds and a pike of over 5lbs. What was abundantly clear to me was that I must have previously been missing bites. Santa will be sending me an U/L rod, and I really look forward to exploring with it. Many thanks to Rich for excellent tuition!

• Like 1

john clarke

I hate this forum! Every time a new angling method is discussed I end up buying stuff. I had this thread in mind last Saturday when I went for an unplanned, last minute rain soaked lure session on the canal with my St. Croix Rutland Rod (I’ve re-named it because that might be all it’s good for). Perhaps not surprisingly being rated at around 4-15g it wasn’t very good at working 5g jigheads, it would need to be a clonking take to register.

I like the look of Steve W’s Blackrock Aventine UUL and wondered what you’re all using as mainline? I was thinking that the rod needs line matched to its lightweight characteristics and something like 8lb PP braid might be too much?

Would appreciate your thoughts…oh, and on a reel to go with the line.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi Chris,

As posted before I like the HTO rods. At 25-30 quid you can buy two casting weights ;)

My reels in the pictures at the beginning of the thread are daiwa laguna reels (these are not available in the uk) which appear to be near identical to the diawa crossfire. I use the 1000 size.

For braid it is a hard balance. Unlike vertical jigging too thin braid is just asking for trouble (i.e. avoid the fox stuff). 8lb power pro would be ideal. Im using 10lb braid from Didcot Angling centre which seems about ideal but it's quite dark: http://www.korum.co.uk/Item_KSN-B#.VkuQM3anw0M

Rich

Had a great hour or two at the Thames this morning before work.

I had around a dozen perch, including a few better ones that gave me the run around with the UL rod. Below are some pics including the one fairly caught pike. This is now the second session where I have lassoed a much larger pike that had taken my perch on the way in. I didn't weight or photgraph today's one but it was ~7lb which really was a handful on the light setup!

Please click the picture to see them in a proper size! I never did work out how to post larger pics!

post-560-0-43467100-1448023310_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-29026400-1448023315_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-36640400-1448023321_thumb.jpg

Rich