best/lightest roving chair

richjones

hi guys, i need your expert advice as to which roving chair is most suited to my style of fishing.

im looking to buy 2 of the same chair, one for me, one for my dad, with the permision of my mum (and use of her credit card!) for christmas presents for us.

the main issues are the weight, and adjustability. we may walk 2-3 miles along a river bank at a time, and the banks are often steep and uneven.

the main contenders so far are:

wychwood superlight

chub hi lite / low lite

nash nomad

fox adjusta

any advice would be great :rolleyes:

hi guys, i need your expert advice as to which roving chair is most suited to my style of fishing.

im looking to buy 2 of the same chair, one for me, one for my dad, with the permision of my mum (and use of her credit card!) for christmas presents for us.

the main issues are the weight, and adjustability. we may walk 2-3 miles along a river bank at a time, and the banks are often steep and uneven.

the main contenders so far are:

wychwood superlight

chub hi lite / low lite

nash nomad

fox adjusta

any advice would be great :rolleyes:

I know this probably won't help much, but with steep, uneven banks and that much roving, I'd recommend a small unhooking mat! That's what I use - strap it to your arm, multi-purpose, lightweight - perfect!

Another vote here for the unhooking mat! Chairs (even lightweight ones) just get in the way with most river roving, plus it's something else to carry. On small, clear rivers, I've actually seen anglers spook fish while they've been struggling to set up a chair...

Don't want to depress you, but I've got one of those chairs and they're a nightmare on uneven banks. Unless you're extremely careful about making sure the legs are fully spread (oo-er), you'll find that you spend quite a lot of time unexpectedly on your back, as you can't lock them in position. Also when you're carrying it, watch out for the back rest falling off (it just slides off the frame)...

Another option is a cheapy foldaway 'camping' chair like you see in petrol stations or Argos. After asking a similar question on the forum a while back, I bought one of these for about £8 (but have since seen them even cheaper!). They're no good on sloping banks but they weigh next to nothing, are comfortable and, importantly, fold up (instantly) and slip easily into a carrying 'tube' which you can sling over your shoulder, so a doddle to pack up and carry around.

When I'm roving I take that and an unhooking mat and sit on the chair on flat banks and either sit or kneel on the mat otherwise.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hello RJ,

I was given a Korum lightweight chair last Christmas. It is thoroughly dependable,truly light weight and simple to carry (built in strap).The square legs will accept all of the "Onbox"accessories,and they have a wide range of adjustment --- I've not yet found a river bank that the legs can't manage.

The unhooking mat is fine for anglers who retain their youthful agility,but for people who have a struggle to get back on their feet I would recommend a lightweight Korum chair ----- and I guess I should add that I have no connection with the Company.

The unhooking mat is fine for anglers who retain their youthful agility

Not much of mine left, I'm afraid, but I find that by rolling to one side and then on to my knees, I can get to my feet again quite easily on the steepest and most uneven banks. I actually find it harder to get up from my Wychwood Rover chair (which I now only use on stillwaters)!

Not much of mine left, I'm afraid, but I find that by rolling to one side and then on to my knees, I can get to my feet again quite easily on the steepest and most uneven banks. I actually find it harder to get up from my Wychwood Rover chair (which I now only use on stillwaters)!

Let me know how you get on in 24 years time :rolleyes: