Carp Fishing, During February

henda11

hey,

its been a while since ive posted on here and i was just wondering if you could give me a bit of help.

in august i was down stamford/oakham at wing lakes, and i came up with a couple of 7lbers, now i was using maggots there and was getting many bites, so shall i just stick with the same tactics as i did in the summer or should i try something else?

it says groundbait isnt allowed but theres never a ballif around at all, he only comes once on the morning then afternoon to get the £5 day ticket payment.

so do you have any tactics?

PB Mirror Carp: 10lb 7oz

PB Common Carp: 7lb 7oz

• 3 weeks later...
Try some mashed up bread, this works well in winter months, and is not classed as groundbait

good luck

Cant beat the good old mini wigglers in winter, i use gallons of um, but as rob said i would stick to what worked for you last time.

let us know how you got on.

Rob hows things bud, hope you had a good christmas/new year, any good catches to report ??

Gav

Work Is For People That Dont Know How To Fish!!

hey,

its been a while since ive posted on here and i was just wondering if you could give me a bit of help.

in august i was down stamford/oakham at wing lakes, and i came up with a couple of 7lbers, now i was using maggots there and was getting many bites, so shall i just stick with the same tactics as i did in the summer or should i try something else?

it says groundbait isnt allowed but theres never a ballif around at all, he only comes once on the morning then afternoon to get the £5 day ticket payment.

so do you have any tactics?

A tactic that's worked very well for me on a couple of local waters in the depth of Winter, is using very finely diced Luncheon meat (it's not a groundbait) which if lightly compressed will hold together in a ball then completely separate when it hits the water. Couple this with light line setups ie 6lb line, 1/2 oz sliding lead, size 12s with 3 tiny cubes of meat, & if a Carp was coming out it was generally to me.

It's essentially a close in tactic, any further & you lose the accuracy, plus it doesn't lend itself to overhead casting. Balance the hookbait with foam & you're in business.

One last tip, if you can do this without other anglers seeing you, lightly feed whilst you're fishing, but have plenty to tip in when you leave to build the Carps confidence up while you're not there. I know it's not a fashionable bait, & it's high fat, but it really is a great Winter bait fished correctly.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.