Hook-up ratio when wobbling deadbaits

WayneX2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good tip by Chris.Watching the line hanging slack (or more acurately with a small bow in it) from the rod tip whilst the bait falls or is left still is how I see a good 75% of my takes.

Now you've got me worried - maybe - because I've never spotted a take like this! Admittedly most of my wobbling has been autumn when it's a bit warmer. Budgie or Chris, what would happen if you didn't spot the take? Am I right that, as you carried on winding in, you would do so then? Or is there a significant likelihood the pike will drop the bait first?

john clarke

No I reckon in most cases you would be ok,as long as you were moving the bait.The problem with not spotting these takes though is that it drasticly increases your chances of deep hooking a fish if you do let the bait drop or lay still regularly during the retrieve.As I said an awfull loy of my takes come at these times.If your not retrieving like this then I suppose you aint going to get the takes in the first place?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If your not retrieving like this then I suppose you aint going to get the takes in the first place?

Yes, I think that is what is happening. I let the bait rise and fall in a fairly slow kind of way, but I must start leaving it still, particularly in cold weather. Thanks.

john clarke

It is amazing how much of a thump one can feel even on a slack (bowed) line. I do a lot of freelining in all sorts of contexts, and concentration is the key.

Have just had a number of barramundi (and other mangrove-loving preds) on dead mullet using wobbling tactics - cast the bait (from upstream) as near a tangle of mangrove roots as you dare, then twitch it out, then let the current take it back under the roots. A sort of cross between a wobbled bait and "sink and draw".

All hell is let loose when a decent-sized barra takes!

Will be applying similar tactics for chub, perch and pike amongst the willow and alder roots of my rivers come January.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Too right Leon its amazing how many anglers dont apreciate what a sharp hook is.I was amazed recently when the subject was brought up on the PAC forum how few bothered sharpening hooks and even more amazed at how many thought it unecessary!

One gem I heard from Dick Walker when a similar debate was raging in AT. "Do you know, I don't think I've ever failed to hook a fish because my hook was too sharp"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi everyone,

I went out this afternoon for 2 hours to the second stretch from my first post with all your advice running through my head and I managed to land a pike this time. I had 2 follows from small pike of around 2-3lb and one take which resulted in a 4-5lb pike on the bank. It gave a surprisingly good fight as well, very nearly tail walking on 2 occasions.

I also had an aborted take from a bigger pike. I was working the margin in a deep swim and when the bait was in front of me I felt a tap tap on the rod. I quickly went to lower the rod to give it a foot or so of slack before setting the hooks but it had dropped my bait before I could react. I couldn't see the bottom due to it getting dark and the water had a slight colour to it but I looked into the swim and saw a fish moving away. I couldn't see how long it was but I could make out the width of its back and it certainly looked bigger than the fish I had landed earlier. Maybe feeling the resistance of the rod spooked it?

Still, I think it was a successful short session.

Oh and also before I started fishing I checked all the points on my trebles. It was the trace that I had used for my last 2 sessions as well and all of the points dug into my fingernail before they moved a millimetre, so they were definitely sharp still.

So I'd just like to say thanks again for the advice you all gave me.

Having same problem. Infact its a major problem. Getting plenty of takes but not landing them. IN last two sessions Ive had around 8 Takes and only landed 1 :angry: . Tried striking early, Then letting them run with the bait for a while before striking, and also not striking at all just applying constant pressure. Cant think of anything im doing wrong other than being unlucky or tackling weary fish.