Early Bass

Elton

Hi

I have to agree with Salar about people having a choice. Bass in this neck of the woods are as rare as hens teeth (too far north) so when you do catch one, it is a treat. I have no problem with people taking any fish that has past its sexual maturity. If its had the opportunity to spawn at least once, no one should quibble about some being taken for the pot. If it hasn't spawned at least one, it should go back... if possible.

BTw, JimLad, I think it was Cranfield who put me on to using a canula to resolve the swim bladder problem caused by rapid decompression and I would recommend it to everyone as effective, certainly on wrasse and pouting. Of course bringing the fish up slowly also helps... you can pick them up from the local vet or agricultural supply store for a few quid and they do work, but I have found they work best on larger fish....

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come accross the canula idea but never been very convinced about either the humanitarian aspect or the long term recovery prospects. It may swim off, but what about infection into the body cavity? Having seen the reaction of a fish to a gaff compared to a hook in the mouth I strongly suspect the canula experience would not be very nice. Far better to turn it into fish cakes - but who am I to say

By the way I tried Sophie Grigson's (as in "Fish" recipe book) recipe for an orange roughy chowder - fab, although I used cod as I was fresh out of orange roughy . You could use any white fish, as the chowder is spicy enough to liven up even pouting and wrasse.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Salar - the 'canula' thing works well and at least when I've used it or been where it was being used on fresh water fish, no signs the next few days of dead or ill fish at the surface.

I think part of the trick is to use a very sharp and clean one. I like an 18ga hypodermic needle and since they are cheap and sterile while in their package, I keep a few in the tackle box and discard one after a use.

Nursejudy can probably source them for you if you want.

Obviously no need for them if the fish is for the pot though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've stuck loads of big hypodermic needles into the sides of blown cattle and calves, with no problems with regards infection. I've heard of people plunging their penknife in before twisting it to let the air out. One chap even used a rat-tail file from the tractor toolbox when he had left his knife in his other trousers.

Of course, we are not allowed to carry a decent sized knife nowadays.

Fish are for eating and, having read this thread, I might try out some of Chris Parker's plugs this weekend.

[ 18. March 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Point of order lads, re: above (hen's teeth)

all chickens have teeth .......

how else would it be able to tin-opener the egg shell .......

they don't get dropped, you know!

:confused: