Orvis T3 9ft 9wt - any good for pike?

fishfinder

I've bought myself an Orvis 909 4piece 9ft 9wt rod, tip flex version, originally for saltwater fly fishing. Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for pike on the fly?

Also, I have 8 weight and 10 weight lines already. Before I rush out and buy new 9wt lines, will the rod handle a 10 or 8 weight, or should I buy 9 weight?

Can anyone recommend good 9 weight lines for pike?

I've bought myself an Orvis 909 4piece 9ft 9wt rod, tip flex version, originally for saltwater fly fishing. Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for pike on the fly?

Also, I have 8 weight and 10 weight lines already. Before I rush out and buy new 9wt lines, will the rod handle a 10 or 8 weight, or should I buy 9 weight?

Don't know the rod,but no reason why it can't be used.Should be ok with a line size heavier as well.

Rod is fine for pike and will handle your qowt line fine.

If the 8 weight is a double taper one simply airealise an extra 6 feet of line in the case of the 10 weight airealise 6 feet less that will give you the equivalent of a 9 weight line.

The number on the butt of the rod is only ever a guide and there is room to manouver

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

If the 8 weight is a double taper one simply airealise an extra 6 feet of line in the case of the 10 weight airealise 6 feet less that will give you the equivalent of a 9 weight line.

The number on the butt of the rod is only ever a guide and there is room to manouver

thanks for the reply - my lines are all Weight Forward

Again no problem a brisk double haul with the 8 weight should cause the rod to load up less so with the ten weight and both will work with your rod.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I dont know the Rod so cant comment, but nothing over here would chalange a 7wt so you should be fine with a 9wt.the heavy rods just make it easier to fish into a wind thats all IMO.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say if you actually used the rod in the salt and you got on fine with it, then you'll be fine with the Orvis. But it kinda depends on where you're going to fish for pike and with what kind of flies. Like most things, the devil is in the detail...

Take big flies at short range for instance, say on a canal or medium/small river - I'm of the Tim Holschlag school of thought on this one - overlining your rod is a good idea because it enables you to load the rod quicker and more easily, helping you overcome the timing issues caused by the weight and air resistance of the flies. Using a tip action rod you may find yourself having to open up your casting stroke to give you the right loop - tight pointy loops may be the order of the day when presenting a fine dry fly or nymph, but if you try and employ the same technique with a large double bunny you could end up in all sorts of trouble. For instance, if (or perhaps I should say when?) you develop a tailing loop, you have a good chance of dinging the tip of your T3 - with a big old pike fly that could be your rod's undoing!?