Sunken Float Paternoster

Steve Burke

Here is what I was talking about for putting large photos in a post Steve.

an_board_photo.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Joel, please would you post up a suitable-sized version of your amended drawing. Thanks again for your help. :thumbs:

Thanks to you too Newt for your reply. I'm still no wiser though - I leave such things to Peggy!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

LOL - my picture is a picture of the place you need to click to store your picture with detailed instructions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 9 months later...

I've mentioned sunken float paternosters a couple of times recently and thought it'd be a good idea to resurrect this topic.

The original photos are on a different computer that's packed away. I'll do a new drawing and get Peggy to photo it and upload it as soon as she has some spare time.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Never used the sunken float version, always use float pat with the float visible so you can see what the bait is doing and because it's a pretty simple setup.

Depends on wether you want to watch floats or not I suppose

The sunken float version also offers much less resistance. The fish (pike and especially zander, and perch too I suppose) is in direct contact with the drop-off and once that's pinged off it's just taking free line. With the float paternoster, there's a float to pull around too. It also means you can bring the rig back a rodlength or so every 15 minutes without having to worry about depth variations, exploring all the water in front of you.

If I'm fishing for pike in the margin I nearly always use a float pat so I can see very quickly what's going on, but for searching the swim (or zander fishing) the sunken float is much better.

Have you ever used it for perch, Steve?

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Neil, I use a drop-off indicator with an audible alarm to tell me what's going on whether I'm live or deadbaiting. That way I can use my eyes to watch the water for moving fish and to look at Nature. Neither's right nor wrong, it's just a matter of personal choice.

However the sunken float paternoster does have the advantages I mentioned above, and the idea of the topic was to highlight my version of a little used rig. It's not quite as simple as some rigs, but because I keep the links on pole winders it's a doddle to set up and very easy to change to a leger to adopt to changing circumstances. Most of all it's also highly effective and I believe has caught me pike I wouldn't have caught otherwise.

And as Anderoo says you can bring it closer every so often and explore the swim. This can make a huge difference to catches!

Anderoo, yes I do use it for perch. In fact I adapted it from my perch fishing. Having said that I find that perch wise up to it very much quicker than pike, especially when with livebaits.

With pike I mainly use it with deadbaits these days, in particular half baits.

And contrary to popular belief you don't need to make them to hang horizontally!

Edited by Steve Burke

IMO the reasons that a sunken float paternoster is superior to a surface one are that you dont have to worry abouit the float being set perfectly to the depth. This means the rig will all ways be fishing safely and correctly.Sunk floats also "work" the bait where the larger float required for a surface set up doesnt. Also fished with an alarm and indicater they are more suited to multiple rod tactics.

As Steve mention like any other non visual float rig they cant be used safely from a boat. Unless you know this clever dodge!

Use a standard in line fixed sunken pat rig set up as normal but add an additional slidding float set slightly over depth above it! No need for exact depth,no need for exact casting,rig still properly supported but the yaw/rocking of the boat doesnt keep tugging the rig about or float under and the surface float can be seen as normal.

I will have to dig out a drawing of the standard fixed sunk pat rig I use....might be allowed to post it now!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As Steve mention like any other non visual float rig they cant be used safely from a boat. Unless you know this clever dodge!

Use a standard in line fixed sunken pat rig set up as normal but add an additional slidding float set slightly over depth above it! No need for exact depth,no need for exact casting,rig still properly supported but the yaw/rocking of the boat doesnt keep tugging the rig about or float under and the surface float can be seen as normal.

As per post #6. It seems that Budgie and I always seem to come up with the same answers. And no, we're not clones! We were both christened Stephen, both live in Kent, are both allrounders who've done a lot of predator fishing, and have both managed our own waters. Yet until recently we'd met only once and then only briefly!

BTW, I'd stress that in any form of fishing there's never a "best" rig, only a suitable one. The sunken float paternoster is only one of many pike rigs I use.