River perching - advice needed

riverover

hello to you all newbie to the forum and i could do with a little help

ive mainly carp fished for the last 20 years but i recently moved and have fallen in love with the river and the perch that it holds,unfortunatlly i have no experience or no how on how to catch these creatures so if anyone can push me in the right direction like what features to look for, weather conditions tactics i would be eternally grateful many thanks Graham

Hi riverover and welcome.

This topic should get you plenty of good answers but there are dozens of older topics that can give you a start. I've modified your title a bit to reflect what you want to know which should help.

Try a search (link toward the page top) using the words perch river then enter Steve Burke in the "Filter by member name". That should give you a few hours of very productive reading.

Steve is probably our top perch expert although we have a number of anglers who do really well fishing for them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

For a list of my articles here on Angler's Net go to http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/introsteve.htm

Hopefully that'll start you off, but if you've any specific questions please do add them here.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi :)

There's a fair bit of perch expertise here, including Steve Burke of course. A search might throw up something useful. This is a good place for perch fishing articles: http://www.tdvan.freeserve.co.uk/Web%20Articles.htm

Specific questions usually get some helpful responses.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi :)

There's a fair bit of perch expertise here, including Steve Burke of course. A search might throw up something useful. This is a good place for perch fishing articles: http://www.tdvan.freeserve.co.uk/Web%20Articles.htm

Specific questions usually get some helpful responses.

thanks fellas reading and enjoying my way through it had a couple of hours off yesterday and decided to have a go fished a bit blind but had a pb 1lb 12oz stripey cant tell you how thrilled i was, not a monster but a great boost for my confidence thanks again

thanks fellas reading and enjoying my way through it had a couple of hours off yesterday and decided to have a go fished a bit blind but had a pb 1lb 12oz stripey cant tell you how thrilled i was, not a monster but a great boost for my confidence thanks again

That's a very good perch to be caught by design, congratulations! How did you catch it?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Great result, Riverover! :clap: A PB is always worth celebrating!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well done on the Perch!

I can't really add much to what has been written on here about Perch in all their forms in the past. I'm not sure I've seen anywhere as near as comprehensive bank of info on our stripey friends as there is on Anglers Net.

It's dependant entirely on the river your fishing as each rivers fish can take up different characteristics but one of the main things with river Perching is location. I think thats one of the reasons river Perching presents such a keen challenge for an angler. They're such a mysterious and highly mobile fish.

Theres a stretch of the non-tidal River Waveney that I fish regularly for Perch through the Winter. It's a length of around 1 1/2miles inbetween weirpools. I had three red letter days fishing the pool that feeds the stretch last year and this year I've had around three fish from the same spot in very similar conditions. There has been occasions when I've had a few fish from a certain spot and then all goes quiet and I've then relocated what I'm pretty sure is the same shoal anything up to a mile away downriver.

But like I say I think it's dependent on the river you're fishing, you have to try and work out the Perchs movements or attempt to second guess the fish which can prove exceedingly tricky indeed.

A handy thing to carry around in your bag is a small notebook. In mine I always jot down things like, the condition of the river i.e the level (is it rising or fining down), how much colour it's carrying, when it last rained, the temperarue air and water, wind direction, if I feeling fussy the air pressure, succesful swims and at what time. All the info you can gain will stand you in good stead..

Well done on the Perch!

I can't really add much to what has been written on here about Perch in all their forms in the past. I'm not sure I've seen anywhere as near as comprehensive bank of info on our stripey friends as there is on Anglers Net.

It's dependant entirely on the river your fishing as each rivers fish can take up different characteristics but one of the main things with river Perching is location. I think thats one of the reasons river Perching presents such a keen challenge for an angler. They're such a mysterious and highly mobile fish.

Theres a stretch of the non-tidal River Waveney that I fish regularly for Perch through the Winter. It's a length of around 1 1/2miles inbetween weirpools. I had three red letter days fishing the pool that feeds the stretch last year and this year I've had around three fish from the same spot in very similar conditions. There has been occasions when I've had a few fish from a certain spot and then all goes quiet and I've then relocated what I'm pretty sure is the same shoal anything up to a mile away downriver.

But like I say I think it's dependent on the river you're fishing, you have to try and work out the Perchs movements or attempt to second guess the fish which can prove exceedingly tricky indeed.

A handy thing to carry around in your bag is a small notebook. In mine I always jot down things like, the condition of the river i.e the level (is it rising or fining down), how much colour it's carrying, when it last rained, the temperarue air and water, wind direction, if I feeling fussy the air pressure, succesful swims and at what time. All the info you can gain will stand you in good stead..

Well done on the perch!

I'd agree with Dant location is everything! You could be fishing 20 yards from the perch and catch nothing and yet in the right spot at the right time clean up!

I find on the Thames, coloured water really seems to put the perch off feeding so I long for clear water. I also find that the perch will happily feed on really cold days days when only the foolhardy are out trying to fish!

Rich

thanks fellas caught the fish on ledgered worm feeding chopped worm, maggots and casters fished in a slightly wider area of the river between two trees