Twin tip rods - pros & cons

Jim Murray

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jim,

Drennan do a series 7 avon quiver at 1.25 TC.

I have the fox Duo Lite Avon at 1lb. Love the rod to bits. I use it for heavy float fishing for Tench and Carp and it's handled them no bother, not had a double figure fish on it yet though. It's also a lovely quiver tip rod.

P@UL

Is that Drennan a twin tip though? Will def look at the Fox - have not heard a bad thing about them at all thanks!

You're a man after my own heart - my duplon days are long gone; cork it has to be, so the Greys rod is not an option.

Jim Just a note: The Greys Prodigy Barbel rods have a 'Cork' handle except for the part of the handle which is screwed down to tighten the reel fitting and the extreme end of the handle where cork tends to get damaged over time, the rest of the handle is made from high grade cork.

You can pick them up for around £100 or less if you look round; although the listed price is £120.

You can also pick one up together with a Shimano GTE B 5000 reel for £160 (see link below)

Greys + reel offer: http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/spgcp180

also see the following link for reviews:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/review/reviewP...4/rgn/9/v/1/sp/

However if you are on a budget; another good rod that I use a lot is the John Wilson Avon/Quiver rod which comes with a 1.25lb tc avon top plus a quiver top; and is for use with reel lines between 3lb and 8lb.(see review below).

http://www.fishingmagic.com/review/reviewP...75/rcn/77/rgn/9

Good luck with your final choice :)

Tight lines

BB

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Jim, another possibility is a custom-built rod. That way you can exactly what you want. However a twin-tip rod would work out at about £175. A search for "Fledger" will give you some more information. If you're interested drop me a PM.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If you want a decent twin tip/barbel rod at a really good price look at the one on offer in this weeks AT. Used Tackle have been selling them at £30 (which is still cheap enough) but the offer price is £15, if you don't like it you can almost afford to chuck it away! I bought one last year and have had chub to 4lbs, brown trout to 3lbs and a 14lb common all from the river Derwent in Belper (Derbyshire) It ain't slim and it hasn't got a 'Name' but it is still a tool that does the job. I went along to the sale they have on Boxing day at Hucknall and picked another one up for a tenner (even better value!) Whilst you are at it look at the reel they were offering in last weeks AT (£15 inc postage), the blue one . Again it was on offer for a tenner on Boxing day so I bought one and it really is a little cracker for the money and complements the rod beautifully. I have absolutely no connection with the company but neither do I need to massage my ego with expensive tackle, a £150 rod will not necessarily catch ten times as many (or as heavy) fish as a £15 one.

Jim, another possibility is a custom-built rod. That way you can exactly what you want. However a twin-tip rod would work out at about £175. A search for "Fledger" will give you some more information. If you're interested drop me a PM.

Steve,

I didn't realise the Fledgers were still available, if so what ranges do they make.

Kev

If that rod is as good as other Drennan rods it's deffo worth a look at, I'm gonna check them out myself! Drennan are one of my favourites and are allways good (quality) value for money.

I have one, it's a lovely tool. I've also got the drennan power barbel rod, again twin tip, but this time the tips give 1.75lb and 2lb test curve rods, again this is a pleasure to use. Yes you can get cheaper, but I think you would struggle to find anything better at the price.

Will

Edited by Will Wilkinson

What about the Greys Prodigy rods?.

The Greys Prodigy Barbel rods are 12', come with a standard top and a quivertip top with 3 long quivers (2, 3 & 4 oz).

They are superb rods for Tench, Crucians, Bream, Chub, Carp and Barbel and come in 1.5lb tc 1.75lb tc or 2lb tc.

Greys Prodigy Rods

They are a dream to use and have loads of power in the lower section together with sensitive tips.

I have even cast 6oz with no problem (with PVA bag full of particles).

BB

Popped into my local tackle shop today for some bits and pieces and ended up walking out with one of these. I was impressed with it's quality and feel. I've just got to get it in the house now without the wife spotting it :lol: .