Audible reel checks

DavyR

It wasn't until I hooked a 4lb+ chub on the Dove the other week and it shot across the river, taking a few yards of line from the clutch, that I realised the new Shimano Exage FA reel I was using is completely silent. I hadn't appreciated how much feedback I normally get from my other reels, all of which have audible checks.

Whilst I don't necessarily want to advertise my presence far and wide with reels that sound like machine guns when they give line, I do think a bit of noise is good - as well as adding to the general excitement, it gives a reasonable impression of how fast the fish is travelling.

What do others think?

It wasn't until I hooked a 4lb+ chub on the Dove the other week and it shot across the river, taking a few yards of line from the clutch, that I realised the new Shimano Exage FA reel I was using is completely silent. I hadn't appreciated how much feedback I normally get from my other reels, all of which have audible checks.

Whilst I don't necessarily want to advertise my presence far and wide with reels that sound like machine guns when they give line, I do think a bit of noise is good - as well as adding to the general excitement, it gives a reasonable impression of how fast the fish is travelling.

What do others think?

Yes I prefer them to give me some sort of audible indication as well; so that I can get a reasonable indication of how much line the fish is taking plus I dont want to be winding in while the fish is taking line as it would only increase the chance line twist.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Davy - I think it may be a matter of what you are used to. I won't use a reel that makes noise unless I want it to like a multiplier where you can switch the clicker on and off. On when waiting for a bite (although that is at least partly to prevent free spooling) but off when casting or playing a fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I didn't think DavyR was talking about using the clutch as a bite alarm, or the reel making a noise when in normal use, but I think he was talking about the noise made by the slipping clutch when a large fish strips line off the reel during the fight.

If so; When I am playing a largish fish using a fixed spool reel, I usually have the clutch wound down fairly tight with the anti reverse off and give line when needed through backwinding; however I usually loosen the clutch slightly and play the fish through the clutch when it gets nearer to the bank; just before I pickup the landing net with my winding hand; just incase the fish makes a last minute dash for freedom. If someone else is netting the fish for me I sometimes still loosen the clutch slightly once it gets close to the bank; it usually depends on the swim (and fish) and whether or not there are snags. but I like the clutch to give a quiet clicking noise if the fish is stripping line from the reel. Its just a personal preference, probably because I'm used to it making an audble sound when the clutch is slipping.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Ah - thanks. Difference in techniques then (I never backwind with a fish on) and possibly in gear since I can't remember a reel making anything other than a 'whirring' sound when the fish is taking line on fixed spool, spin cast or baitcaster.

OTOH, my hearing is not great and has not been for nearly 40 years so the thing could be clicking without me noticing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I didn't think DavyR was talking about using the clutch as a bite alarm, or the reel making a noise when in normal use, but I think he was talking about the noise made by the slipping clutch when a large fish strips line off the reel during the fight.

That's the one! :thumbs:

In future I think I'll be reserving that silent-clutched Exage for the light float rod that I use for roach and skimmers.