Bag-up Roach Waters

The Flying Tench

The piggeries in Cheltenham John we have spoken about the place last year. Caught roach on soaked dog biscuit on a size four hook meant for carp. A bit grim the scenery though, and you will need to wear a shell suit to blend in with the other anglers...any time you want let me know. :D

The piggeries in Cheltenham John we have spoken about the place last year. Caught roach on soaked dog biscuit on a size four hook meant for carp. A bit grim the scenery though, and you will need to wear a shell suit to blend in with the other anglers...any time you want let me know. :D

Absolutely, Neil. As I understand it that is Burley Fields, the place I mention in my first post. I had the impression you didn't want to go back there, but it would be great to meet up - maybe in the spring?

john clarke

There are some good places to fish in Scotland and the places that we fish have pure roach.

I live in Ayrshire and there are lots of small lochs that have been stocked with roach we catch bags with a range from 1 lbs to over 2 lbs most times we fish.

hope I have been a help

david

David, don't know when I'll be able to get up there, but it sounds truly fantastic. Can you say a bit more. eg what is a 'small loch'. Does that mean somewhere still big by southern standards, where you need to cast out a feeder 60 yds? Or are they small holes filled with fish? Or are they nice lakes of a few acres where you can float fish or feeder fish depending how th emood takes?

john clarke

David, don't know when I'll be able to get up there, but it sounds truly fantastic. Can you say a bit more. eg what is a 'small loch'. Does that mean somewhere still big by southern standards, where you need to cast out a feeder 60 yds? Or are they small holes filled with fish? Or are they nice lakes of a few acres where you can float fish or feeder fish depending how th emood takes?

A body of water which is either:* a lake or;* a sea inlet, which may be also a firth, fjord, estuary or bay so to answer your question it is a small lake about 1/3 mile long and 1/4 mile wide the smaller loch in Ayrshire tend to be quite shallow hope this helps and the reason it is good for roach and perch is the only other fish are pike

David

A body of water which is either:* a lake or;* a sea inlet, which may be also a firth, fjord, estuary or bay so to answer your question it is a small lake about 1/3 mile long and 1/4 mile wide the smaller loch in Ayrshire tend to be quite shallow hope this helps and the reason it is good for roach and perch is the only other fish are pike

David

Well it's wonderful to think of a loch that size full of good roach. Are the perch good too? I guess with a lake that size you'd need to use a feeder or maybe fish from a boat?

john clarke

Well it's wonderful to think of a loch that size full of good roach. Are the perch good too? I guess with a lake that size you'd need to use a feeder or maybe fish from a boat?

the perch are a good size as well the heaviest that we know of is 4 lbs+ and in the summer a 23.5 lbs pike was caught

we use a small dingy to get us to the best spots

David

Most of the mature commercial waters have good stocks of quality roach and perch, both mostly ignored as the majority of the anglers are fishing for carp.

Some large roach get caught on boilies or pellets, but deliberately fishing for them can be much more productive.

However, its the perch fishing in these places that can be outstanding.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "