Bag-up Roach Waters

The Flying Tench

I've been going through one of those deep, intense, existential moments. Would I, could I prostitute my art, my sport for the inconsequential, cheap, superficial thrill of catching thumping great redfins at.... (do not read on if you are easily offended) ..... Commercial Fisheries?

YES!

Not that I want to catch a REALLY big one, mind you. That would haunt me. If I ever catch a 2lb roach I want it to be a proper one.

But where's the best place to go where only a complete idiot could fail to catch a bag of decent sized roach - up to a pound or so.

I've heard of somewhere called Burley Fields near Cheltenham. Then, in the AT this week there was some info on Gold Valley near Aldershot. Do they come in the idiot-proof category? Maybe there's somewhere nearer to me in Newbury? Where would you recommend?

john clarke

Hi TFT, despite what people might think I'm about to say, I'd also fish a commercial for big roach or perch. I don't like commercials but I wouldn't mind fishing them for these 'forgotten' species.

I can't help you with a venue I'm afraid, but maybe we could try to arrange the first ever AN roach fish-in if a suitable venue is found? What happened to the idea of fishing that stretch of the Thames? (Not at the moment obviously!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

There is such a venue close to me that fairly regularly gets mentioned in the angling press; Longshaw Farm, Herne in Kent. I have had some cracking roach from this venue, there are also a good head of perch, bream silver bream, decent hybrids, chub and some lovely tench as well as the ubiquitous carp, it's clean and the new owner is very hot on fish welfare and litter.

Have you considered Holme Grange Resevoir near Crowthorne?More famous for its hordes of ever hungry Carp but there is a good head of Roach present as well.Not sure if this is still the case but they used to run "silverfish" only matches there,some impressive weights of roach were quite common apparently.

Have you considered Holme Grange Resevoir near Crowthorne?More famous for its hordes of ever hungry Carp but there is a good head of Roach present as well.Not sure if this is still the case but they used to run "silverfish" only matches there,some impressive weights of roach were quite common apparently.

And they still are, judging from reports on the web. But the problem is it's not idiot proof! I went there once after I read an article about how Bob Nudd (or someone) went and caught a great bag of roach, but the day I went all anyone was catching was very small ones which admittedly were bite a chuck.

Maybe I should try it again. A bit of a hole in the ground, though! But it's what I'm asking for I have to admit, apparently with roach to 4lb!

john clarke

And they still are, judging from reports on the web. But the problem is it's not idiot proof! I went there once after I read an article about how Bob Nudd (or someone) went and caught a great bag of roach, but the day I went all anyone was catching was very small ones which admittedly were bite a chuck.

Maybe I should try it again. A bit of a hole in the ground, though! But it's what I'm asking for I have to admit, apparently with roach to 4lb!

I also fished it once only and agree the scenery was a bit bleak.However for 4lb Roach i might be willing to relax my adversion to commercial fisheries!

Did you catch much?

John

I went there with carp in mind,not really my cup of tea but i was helping out a friend who was returning to fishing after a 20 year break.I suggested Holme Grange as it is a safe bet that you wont blank.In that respect it didnt let us down,we caught shedloads.

About midday i became bored with the constant stream of small carp and went for a wander.I bumped into the lady who used to collect the ticket money.Got chatting about the lake and she casually mentioned the Roach which i was unaware of then.

I think she could sense my scepticism about the weights of the biggest Roach,but assured me that upper 2 pounders had been caught in matches and accurately weighed.There was no mention of 4 pounders but as this was all a few years ago now things might have changed.

As far as i am aware there are no bream or rudd in there so there is no hybid issue to contend with.

regards Stret

I've been going through one of those deep, intense, existential moments. Would I, could I prostitute my art, my sport for the inconsequential, cheap, superficial thrill of catching thumping great redfins at.... (do not read on if you are easily offended) ..... Commercial Fisheries?

YES!

Not that I want to catch a REALLY big one, mind you. That would haunt me. If I ever catch a 2lb roach I want it to be a proper one.

But where's the best place to go where only a complete idiot could fail to catch a bag of decent sized roach - up to a pound or so.

I've heard of somewhere called Burley Fields near Cheltenham. Then, in the AT this week there was some info on Gold Valley near Aldershot. Do they come in the idiot-proof category? Maybe there's somewhere nearer to me in Newbury? Where would you recommend?

There are some good places to fish in Scotland and the places that we fish have pure roach.

I live in Ayrshire and there are lots of small lochs that have been stocked with roach we catch bags with a range from 1 lbs to over 2 lbs most times we fish.

hope I have been a help

david

There are some good places to fish in Scotland and the places that we fish have pure roach.

I live in Ayrshire and there are lots of small lochs that have been stocked with roach we catch bags with a range from 1 lbs to over 2 lbs most times we fish.

hope I have been a help

david

Well, thanks, a plan for the future! Sounds exactly what I am looking for. Don't think I can justify a trip to Scotland very soon, but it sounds something great to think about! (I live down south in Newbury)

john clarke