Whats Your Views?

STAG SPOT

I have always used the normal fishing line but 2 good mate of mine have now starded using braid and i was just wanting to know if there is any advantage of it and what your views are and if you use it

thank you

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always used the normal fishing line but 2 good mate of mine have now starded using braid and i was just wanting to know if there is any advantage of it and what your views are and if you use it

thank you

It's dependent upon what you are doing....

Standard monofilament line will stretch under tension by 20% or more, which makes for registration issues when fishing at distance. It is also a lot thicker than braid. Mono also degrades in daylight.

Braid has virtually no stretch, and if it is a sinking braid, good for fishing at range. It is also a lot thinner than mono.

Of late, when float fishing, I use standard mono - usually Pro Gold or Maxima, with a fluoro hooklength.

For carp fishing, I have been using braid with a coated braid or a fluoro hooklength.

Fluoro lines are almost invisible in water, having the near same refractiev index, and are therefore good hooklength materials. They are also expensive, and some say, a little brittle - which makes knot tying more critcal than ever.

I hope this helps.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I use Fireline/FL Crystal (a type of braid) for trotting rivers - it floats and 'mends' easily and offers great 'pick up' when striking at distance...

C.

what BS do you use Chris. My wife is on a shopping trip to the USA soon and if you recommend it i will ask her to get some.. Also has any member used Berkley Spiderwire Ultracast Invisi Braid . Was gonna ask her to get some for Barbel fishing. :D

what BS do you use Chris. My wife is on a shopping trip to the USA soon and if you recommend it i will ask her to get some.. Also has any member used Berkley Spiderwire Ultracast Invisi Braid . Was gonna ask her to get some for Barbel fishing. :D

4lb BS Fireline Crystal is on all my Centre Pins bar one which has 6lb FL (used when trotting for barbel) I need another spool of 4lb FL Crystal (hint hint!) :rolleyes:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

4lb BS Fireline Crystal is on all my Centre Pins bar one which has 6lb FL (used when trotting for barbel) I need another spool of 4lb FL Crystal (hint hint!) :rolleyes:

C.

[/quote my wife will be in New York and the tackle shop near her Hotel only stocks ( see email from USA.) Fire-Line Crystal I have in 6lb, 8lb and 10lb 300yd spools, at $37.95.. SO IM GONNA GET THE 6LB. if u need this in 300 yds i will ask her to get for you?? . or alternatively I could mail order a couple of spools of 4lb and we could go half on the shipping costs. ALSO I will mail the USA and ask if he can get 4lb. please advise

[/quote my wife will be in New York and the tackle shop near her Hotel only stocks ( see email from USA.) Fire-Line Crystal I have in 6lb, 8lb and 10lb 300yd spools, at $37.95.. SO IM GONNA GET THE 6LB. if u need this in 300 yds i will ask her to get for you?? . or alternatively I could mail order a couple of spools of 4lb and we could go half on the shipping costs. ALSO I will mail the USA and ask if he can get 4lb. please advise

You got mail!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

braid my man for pike carp 60lb bs is your best bet stick with mono for roach and silver fish, chub if your trotting 6lb braid is good as nearly zero stretch so bites are instant and striking is much better at distance from your posts i take it your from somerset i fish the levels and the axe fairly reguraly with a few pals but always room for one more mate if your stuck on anythingsorry mate didnt realise it was you hahaha when did you sign up just clicked your profile should of twigged by the name