Whats Your Views?

STAG SPOT

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard monofilament line will stretch under tension by 20% or more, which makes for registration issues when fishing at distance.

Have heard this theory quoted often. Have only tried long range legering with braid a couple of times when after roach which gave finicky bites on mono. Result on braid - still just as finicky.

Surely the stretch issue would only really come into play as you apply real tension to the line; but a 1lb. fish moving the bait even 4 inches on a line which certainly has a bow in it already...? I may be wrong but don't think that mono is stretching at all in that situation.

Jim - try using waterproof markers on the bottom 2-5 feet of line. Alternate brown, green, blue, red, etc. and do varying size patches of each. DIY camo.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Have heard this theory quoted often. Have only tried long range legering with braid a couple of times when after roach which gave finicky bites on mono. Result on braid - still just as finicky.

Surely the stretch issue would only really come into play as you apply real tension to the line; but a 1lb. fish moving the bait even 4 inches on a line which certainly has a bow in it already...? I may be wrong but don't think that mono is stretching at all in that situation.

I tend to agree with this. Maybe it's a problem at extreme range but I'd hazard a guess that up to, say, 70-80 yards, mono fished 'slack' with a light/sensitive indicator would register as much as braid. It would be very interesting to see a direct comparison, I could be completely wrong!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I tend to agree with this. Maybe it's a problem at extreme range but I'd hazard a guess that up to, say, 70-80 yards, mono fished 'slack' with a light/sensitive indicator would register as much as braid. It would be very interesting to see a direct comparison, I could be completely wrong!

i agree with neil

i have fished with both mono and braid together next to each other deadbaiting for pike both close and at distances and i can assure you braid is much better

you dont have to strike half as hard due to stretch and bite detection is second to non but thats with pike,

Edited by wsmlewy

I started using braid as the rivers I fish are just so snaggy it's untrue and with every flood new branches, sticks etc are brought down into different spots so it's so difficult to avoid them. When your paying £3 a pop for a float you just don't want to lose them.

There was also the small matter of being broken off on 18lb BS mono by what felt like a BIG pike on a 15 ft deep stretch of river.

Edited by Neil G

Keep 3 or 5 different coloured, waterproof 'magic markers' in your kit.

When you get your rig or lure tied on, use the markers to colour a 1" bit green, then 2" above that brown, then 1.5" green, 4" black, and so on for at least a couple of feet. Basically, you break up the natural appearance of LINE-DANGER-DANGER and the fish seem to either not notice it at all or at least, not associate it with anything so odd that they are wary.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President