new camera for me soon.....

Ollie Jay

Hi Ollie

I'm a Nikon guy too. D40 / D40x is bound to be a good camera - one thing to watch out for is the lenses that you can use with it - a bit more limited than some of the other Nikon bodies, but not a problem.

Some lenses rely on a screw mechanism driven by the camera body itself to autofocus. As far as I know, the D40 / D40x don't 'fit' with those types of lenses (screw type), so you have to look for lenses with AF-S (Nikon) or HSM (Sigma). Not all Nikon/Sigma/Tokina/Tamron lenses will be compatible with that body.

I think there may be a handy list somewhere of lenses that do fit the D40 - only of relevance if you think that you may get a tad of "lens lust" in the future. You'll still be able to find one that fits your needs, but you may have a smaller number to choose from. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll try to dig out a list.

Whichever way you go, enjoy it. It's been the single best investment I've made in years. I'm pretty much addicted to photography now, helped along in no small way by the guys and gals on this forum.

Westie.

Been reading a few bits recently on OEM lenses and their suitability to the Nikon 40 range. I got the distinct impression that Sigma certainly and Tamron to follow will soon be up to speed on offering appropriate lenses. As you say Westi, reduced choice; 'less is more' me thinks?

Just filled me with doubt, does the 18-70 fit the 40??

Might have to go D40 + 18-55 + 55-200 for £440! not bad:-http://www.cameras2u.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=61933

SW

Been reading a few bits recently on OEM lenses and their suitability to the Nikon 40 range. I got the distinct impression that Sigma certainly and Tamron to follow will soon be up to speed on offering appropriate lenses. As you say Westi, reduced choice; 'less is more' me thinks?

Just filled me with doubt, does the 18-70 fit the 40??

Might have to go D40 + 18-55 + 55-200 for £440! not bad:-http://www.cameras2u.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=61933

SW

18-70mm is AF-S, so no problems there. It's what I use on my Nikon and given its cost, it's a fine lens - even got a weather seal on it, which is normally saved for the pro glass. As a variable aperature lens (3.5-4.5), it 'aint bad at all. Some rate it as good as the fabled 17-55mm, when stopped down. A bloody good lens to go with a d40 and if you look on fleabay, you could get a bargain. It'll knock the socks off most of the recent consumer lenses from Nikon.

Trouble with me is that I'm deperate to get the 17-55. I'm just a tackle tart, though. :)

Edited by Westie

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Cheers for your advice westie and to be honest im not going to be able to afford to many lens to start of with but im sure the d40 takes enough to cover my needs.....could maybe do with that list you mention though...would probably come in handy. cheers

SW.... seems a good price on that link mate...cheers for that may look into getting an extra 40 quid from somewhere....but then again i have set myself a budget....hmmmm will have to think about this hard as the price could just keep going up and up the more i see....lol

cheers for your replies again chaps.

Ollie

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Just to throw a little fly in the ointment - D40, 6 megapixels; D40x, 10 megapixels.... You might not want photo's larger than A4, but at some point you will want to crop the photo to cut out unwanted bits or just improve the composition. When you do that, you may find the photo becoming 'blocky'. If you can, I suggest going for the 10 megapixels just to give you a bit more scope.

If you feel it's going to be out of your price range, have a look at buying the D40x body-only, and one or two Sigma lenses, they are very highly regarded quality-wise as well as being cheaper than Nikon's own lenses.

As for the 1.5x magnification (focal length multiplier) when using digital cameras - the CCD (charge-coupled device, used on most DSLR's) that captures the image is only 3/4 the size of 35mm film, resulting in the focal length of most* lenses being multiplied by 1.5x - meaning that a 100mm lens will have an effective focal length of 150mm. This is okay for telephoto lenses as you're getting a 'bigger' lens than you paid for, but when you want a wideangle lens it means you have to buy wider than you would have to if you were buying for a 35mm film camera (35mm wideangle becomes a 52.5mm standard lens, it's called a standard lens because it produces the field of view seen by the eye).

* Some camera/lens makers (including Nikon) are building lenses specifically for DSLR's, where the focal length shown on the lens is genuine.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Cheers for your advice westie and to be honest im not going to be able to afford to many lens to start of with but im sure the d40 takes enough to cover my needs.....could maybe do with that list you mention though...would probably come in handy. cheers

SW.... seems a good price on that link mate...cheers for that may look into getting an extra 40 quid from somewhere....but then again i have set myself a budget....hmmmm will have to think about this hard as the price could just keep going up and up the more i see....lol

cheers for your replies again chaps.

Ollie

Ollie,

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductID=2966

£419.99 for D40+18-55, 55 -200!

Dear right what John S says about croping, but you do have a budget? I used to work with 6mill on my D70s and 5mill on my Canon S50 P&S. There is a limitation but you work within it?

SW

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Cheers for the explanation John s but to be honest i feel i should be ok with the d40 and not the d40x as i find cropping not to to bad with the 5mpx that i use at the moment but will definitely have a look into buying the d40x body only and see what the prices are of the lenses to start with but i think i may be better going with the one on the link that SW has just given me or something similar...cheers SW

Ive decided to go for either the d40 or the d40x and will let you know when i have purchased it.....probably a few weeks yet though.

Right....am glad i posted this thread and learnt a few things and got some great advice.....so a big thank you to all and fingers crossed i will get to grips with my new camera prety soon after i get it!!

Cheers all.

Ollie

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album